FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Help With Turbo Build fuel questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Turbo Build fuel questions

I just installed dual walbro 450's in my tank on my 01 and am using the stock fuel lines as I have seen they are good to 1000 HP (This right?)

I have LS3 Heads and L92 intake on a LQ4 and I have been searching for if anyone has tapped into the back passenger side stock fuel rail to add a regulator then AN fitting into the stock return line?

Will my stock lines handle the flow of two of these pumps?

Any help you guys can offer would be great, I have been reading and cant find much on how to add a AN fitting to the rail. Looking to start at 11 PSI boost and work my way upwards on E85. The AN fitting that's already there is getting a fuel pressure gauge. 2nd walbro pump is on 4psi hobbs.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Factory lines *will work* but you will get a lot of pressure loss in there, so you will need to upsize the pumps accordingly. Check out the spreadsheet I made in the sticky thread at the top of this section and play with the pressure loss part. For 2 450s at full blast it says you will have roughly 7psi pressure drop with factory size lines. With -8an lines and fittings it will be about 1.5psi drop.

With that level, I would recommend using aftermarket rails. It will make plumbing much easier for certain. If you have an 01 then you should have a regulator on the driver side already. I dont know if that regulator could flow enough for 2 450s at full blast. Either way I recommend an aftermarket rail and regulator setup.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you need new lines, 3/8's feed isnt large enough to carry to volume required safely

there is nothing cheap about 1000rwhp, if you do believe so then spend more time on sloppy ***** face book page
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock isnt going to work. Ive racked my brains for many hours thinking how to get it to work unsuccessfully.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8an feed line and 6an return you can go with the push loc hose and save a little weight and money. Run one all the time and turn other one on at 4 to 6lb of boost. Fuel rails on your truck suck. Get some good old ebay fuel rails and be done.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Atomic
Factory lines *will work* but you will get a lot of pressure loss in there, so you will need to upsize the pumps accordingly. Check out the spreadsheet I made in the sticky thread at the top of this section and play with the pressure loss part. For 2 450s at full blast it says you will have roughly 7psi pressure drop with factory size lines. With -8an lines and fittings it will be about 1.5psi drop.

With that level, I would recommend using aftermarket rails. It will make plumbing much easier for certain. If you have an 01 then you should have a regulator on the driver side already. I dont know if that regulator could flow enough for 2 450s at full blast. Either way I recommend an aftermarket rail and regulator setup.
Originally Posted by George C....
you need new lines, 3/8's feed isnt large enough to carry to volume required safely

there is nothing cheap about 1000rwhp, if you do believe so then spend more time on sloppy ***** face book page
Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Stock isnt going to work. Ive racked my brains for many hours thinking how to get it to work unsuccessfully.
Originally Posted by Byrdman11
8an feed line and 6an return you can go with the push loc hose and save a little weight and money. Run one all the time and turn other one on at 4 to 6lb of boost. Fuel rails on your truck suck. Get some good old ebay fuel rails and be done.

Thanks for the reply's guys, I did get some After market rails the other day as to drill the factory rails I didn't want to risk getting chips inside and plugging a injector.

I have everything connected to the factory lines now and plan to start small on boost and work my way up so will Upgrade to a -8 feed and using my 3/8 as a return when I get up over 12psi on boost. From teh 3/8 line all my aftermarket lines are -10 to the regulator where it goes -6.

Here are some pics of the project.
I was able to use 4" IC and keep AC

Last edited by NuckenFuts; 05-29-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, you basically did what I wanted to try.....use the aeromotive regulator (I bought that same one) with those ebay fuel rails, but hook it all up to the stock lines.

Can you get a better picture showing how you hooked up the rail to the stock fuel feed? From the pics I'm guessing your feeding the passenger rail first.

Also, with this setup and the Walbro 450 in tank (only 1 should be on during non-boost), can the fuel pressure be regulated appropriately? I've still got all the stock stuff on mine and with the walbro 450 when im cruising and let off the throttle, AFR goes into the 11s.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Hey, you basically did what I wanted to try.....use the aeromotive regulator (I bought that same one) with those ebay fuel rails, but hook it all up to the stock lines.

Can you get a better picture showing how you hooked up the rail to the stock fuel feed? From the pics I'm guessing your feeding the passenger rail first.

Also, with this setup and the Walbro 450 in tank (only 1 should be on during non-boost), can the fuel pressure be regulated appropriately? I've still got all the stock stuff on mine and with the walbro 450 when im cruising and let off the throttle, AFR goes into the 11s.
I have not had time to play with it really, Got all lines installed and no leaks however Im not making boost now as I think i put a spacer in wrong oin the wastegate when i did hot pipes.

I do have the 2nd 450 on a hobbs switch that kicks on at 4psi of boost and that regulator was able to regulate the single pump so far as I was messing with it.

For fuel lines i took a 3/8 male to -10 an and ran the fuel rails as follows.

3/8 feed line (stock) to driver side rail
driver rail -10 cross over to passenger rail
passenger rail to regulator (-10)
regulator to 5/16 return line (-6)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. If the regulator can handle the single 450 correctly then that's golden. The second one coming on shouldn't put much additional impact on the regulator since alot of the fuel will be used up before it gets to the regulator.

As far as the routing of the lines, I bought all the hardware to do this, but I'm going to do it a bit differently than you. I don't like the idea of feeding the back of the driver's rail from the stock feed, you've really got a lot of tortuosity in the line plus is looks like its rubbing up on the firewall. I'm goiing to try and do a 180 fitting to the front of the driver's rail, I'm just hoping it clears the alternator which I believe it will.