Notices

Is this a Ford Problem, too?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There just giving you an excuse, theres more probably a draw somewhere. Newer cars might have more electronics drawing voltage, but once a car is turned off, so do the accesories (well some actually take up to 15 min to turn off). You probably just put more strain on your battery, got a weak battery to begin with, or you have a drain. Me i replace a battery maybe once a month at work (im a ford tech), and its usually user error. Its not a ford problem, and its definitely not a GM problem.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima Yeller top FTMFW
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Fords have the most modules of any vehicle out there generally speaking. GM is still fairly simple in how their module system works. It should take anywhere from 45-60 minutes for all of them to "go to sleep" and you won't have any power usage at all, or at least you shouldn't. You've got a parasitic draw on the battery somewhere.

There's a way to conduct this test using a meter (reading amps) and a set of remote test leads, when I get to work I'll post specific instructions. You basically monitor amp draw on the system and then start removing fuses to isolate the circuit with the draw, once that is determined, you can then look over the circuit carefully and pinpoint the source of the draw. This is time consuming and has taken me quite a while to make an accurate diagnosis (which is probably why they're blowing you off) but it works and it's about as accurate as you can get.

-I'm a Chevy driving Ford tech by the way
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I have seen this problem come in to the dealership alot. It can be resolved, but you may have to leave your vehicle for a extended period of time. Leave everything in your vehicle just as you do when it sets. Example cell phone charger, transformer, i pod ....ect ect ect I have seen modules "wake up" after the ignition has been off for over 24 hours. I could be a bad BCM, theft module, lighting control module, heated seats, you get the picture. If your current dealer is telling you it is normal then it is time to find another dealer. He/she is just telling you that because they don't want to deal with the time & the paperwork involved in a indept repair such as this. If there is not another dealer within a reasonable distance then call Chevrolet customer assistance. Tell them your problem & have all the previous repair orders. If you do not have them then go to the dealer & ask for copies. Also ask for the hard copies it will have the technicians notes on it.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Since getting my truck back from the dealer, I parked it on October 31st and left it alone until last Friday night when I had to back the truck up 15 feet to access my garage. The truck started fine and turned over strong.

Once I finished what I was doing, I moved the truck back into the current spot where it will sit until Thanksgiving, at least. While I was working in the garage, the truck was shut off so I doubt the 2 minutes it ran while moving it back and forth was enough to charge the battery.

The only difference between the truck sitting now and when it sat and died is the way the truck is parked in the driveway. Now, the nose is up close to the house so the colder winter air cannot play a role. At this point, I am thinking I may have simply had a bad battery, but, more feedback is welcomed.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I paid my buck-o-five

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
I dont think thats just GM...Nearly every newer automobile is going to experience some sort of energy drawing off of the battery at all times.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

i am a ford master tech and have dealt with this concern multiple times, i have never found a problem with these concerns, if you let your vehicle sit for a long period of time, the battery will go dead, there are multiple modules on the ford trucks and a lot of them dont go to sleep.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few vehicles that sit for weeks or even months without being driven. I use solar battery tenders on the dash of each. Keeps the batteries topped off.
A lead-acid battery will eventually discharge itself even with nothing connected to it. Three weeks is pretty bad, a solar charger would help.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Solar trickle charger, done
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have seen this with several vehicles also at work, come in cause they let it sit and had to jump it to get it their. once it gets their they cant get a new battery under warranty cause the charger passed it. me on the other hand haven't had an issue with my truck and it has sat for a month at most, and it always starts.

(ford tech driving a Chevy)

Quick Reply: Is this a Ford Problem, too?