FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Need help before installing my Whipple supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help before installing my Whipple supercharger

I bought a whipple supercharger for my 03 denali and I have a couple questions. After doing some research i have decided to not use there electronics. I am going to use the bigger injectors and a custom tune. I have read that I am going to need to rewire the bypass. How do I do this? I have searched but havent been able to find a definite answer.

I am planning on installing a transgo shift kit when I put the whipple in, but what else will help me save my tranny from breaking? Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Launching!

The bypass has been discussed at length on here. Here's a link with a few pics and explanations... BYPASS THREAD

As for the tranny, save yourself the down time, and go ahead and talk to Vince @ FLT. My original tranny had a TransGo HD2, vette servo, billet 4th servo, TransGo hardened separator plate, Yank TT2600, factory cooler, etc... and it lasted exactly 14 days with the blower. Vince recommended the level 5 65E for my application, and I've been happy ever since. In 2wd, it gets loose on the 1-2 shift, under WOT.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Click on pic.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver

Click on pic.
Its that simple? And is my tranny really at that much of a risk too?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of truck do you have? If you do ALL the upgrades emntioned above and have a Regular Cab Short Bed you might get away with it for awhile. If you have a Denali, it aint gonna last long.

My Tahoe had about 45K on it when I installed my blower. The tranny started slipping from day 1.

Here's a little example. Listen to the 1-2 shift on my stock tranny and then on my FLT tranny. Ignore the gauges and music, I was working another issue when I made the 2nd vid lol.

Stock Tranny 1-2 shift is long and weak

FLT Tranny--Crisp 1-2 shift

The stock one just isnt built to take the power.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
What kind of truck do you have? If you do ALL the upgrades emntioned above and have a Regular Cab Short Bed you might get away with it for awhile. If you have a Denali, it aint gonna last long.

My Tahoe had about 45K on it when I installed my blower. The tranny started slipping from day 1.

Here's a little example. Listen to the 1-2 shift on my stock tranny and then on my FLT tranny. Ignore the gauges and music, I was working another issue when I made the 2nd vid lol.

Stock Tranny 1-2 shift is long and weak

FLT Tranny--Crisp 1-2 shift

The stock one just isnt built to take the power.
Its an 03 yukon denali with about 47k on it. How much did it cost you for your tranny setup?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I decided to be a dumb *** and destroy my stock tranny and converter. Then I bought from some jackass company on ebay. That lasted about a year, then it crapped out. Last week my $400 converter crapped out and broke the pump in my new tranny (the new FLT strong one)

So, in all I've spent about $6300 in transmissions not counting the $1,000 or so in labor the one time I paid somebody else to do one of my 4 tranny swaps.

If you want to save a **** load of money, pay up front. Call Chuck or Vince at FLT 630-350-7776 and get a Level 5, 4L65E and a PI converter for about....$3600. Notice how the first 2 numbers in my prices are reversed, in your favor.

OR, you could get a 4L80E level four and conversion kit and converter for about the same cost. The gearing is different but, you would probably never break the 80E, ever. Call chuck when you are ready. Which will be about 2 weeks after you get the blower on, LOL!
http://www.finishlinetrans.com/
Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

I love you Allison.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:32 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a whipple on my 03 Z71 Tahoe. Running original pulley and no other real mods except tuning. I put it on with about 65K on the odometer and now have 83K. I've had no real problems with my completely stock transmission, but then again I don't abuse it. The transmission you have will hold up OK under normal use. By adding a good shift kit and servo, it should hold up OK with aggressive driving (not abusive). Super hard launches, higher rpm torque converter, lots of full throttle power through the shifts... may require you to upgrade to a beefier setup. So this decision is in your control based on how you drive the thing.

My radix powered SS with the same transmission you have never had an issue. Adding a shift kit and servo made a world of difference. I just kept hard launches to a minimum.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
Super hard launches, higher rpm torque converter, lots of full throttle power through the shifts... may require you to upgrade to a beefier setup. So this decision is in your control based on how you drive the thing.
Don't forget fatter tires causing trans abuse. I think my stockers work well to limit torque by slipping.

Quick Reply: Need help before installing my Whipple supercharger