Notices
Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need 5-speed manual trans help clutch problems ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 5-speed manual trans help clutch problems ??

I bought a 2000 Silverado a month ago,4.3,5-speed.The clutch worked fine a little slow going into 3rd but not to bad to drive as a work truck.
A few days ago driving home and o the way the clutch pedal went loose not totally gone flopping around but not there,i limped it home changing gears manually the closer I got home it kinda came back part way.The next morning I pushed in the clutch and start it just goes forward but still starts,so now with clutch fully in it doesn't disengage the clutch it just goes and cant change gears without stopping.Would this be the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder ? Any help would be great
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

well, check the fluid level in the master 1st. see if it looks like it's leaked out anywhere. crawl under & see how the slave looks inside the bellhousing & if it's got fluid coming out anywhere. how many miles are on this clutch?

the 3rd gear thing is a known common problem due to a couple factors - dirty, old fluid and the hydraulic line being too restrictive to allow the proper flow to fully actuate the disengagement twice in a matter of a few seconds. the newer versions with the full braided line can drill out a restrictor ring, but our older style that's half flex line molded to a braided is just SOL.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _zebra
well, check the fluid level in the master 1st. see if it looks like it's leaked out anywhere. crawl under & see how the slave looks inside the bellhousing & if it's got fluid coming out anywhere. how many miles are on this clutch?

the 3rd gear thing is a known common problem due to a couple factors - dirty, old fluid and the hydraulic line being too restrictive to allow the proper flow to fully actuate the disengagement twice in a matter of a few seconds. the newer versions with the full braided line can drill out a restrictor ring, but our older style that's half flex line molded to a braided is just SOL.
Fluid was full and appears not to be wet anywhere even inside the trans around the slave cylinder.No idea how many miles are on the clutch since I just got the truck a month ago.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Well this sucks.It is a bad month for me financially and I have spent almost all my money on trying to fix this POS.Again it appears to be leaking nowhere,first I replaced the clutch master cylinder I was told that was probably it and that was easy but didn't do anything,then I said screw it and bought a slave cylinder thinking that would have to be it,changed that then started bleeding line seemed to get straight fluid pretty fast after a few times cracking bleeder open so I tried starting it and still pulled forward like before,so I continued to bleed and then I have no air no fluid and slave cylinder is not moving toward pressure plate at all now what the hell ??? Could it be a collapsed line ? The pedal is not sloppy just very soft