Quite cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noise is the fuel in the cylinder igniting as the piston is still coming up. it is a trait of old diesels. you may get rid of noises wrapping and insulating, but until you have an injector you can control more than an on/off pulse then you will have noise. You have too much fuel for the compression when the injector first fires so instead of burning quickly it basically is detonating as it gets down to the piston and isnt burned. that is what you hear. this isnt a problem at all, just a noise. something every other 12v cummins will most certainly do.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thx for the insight chev atw. When i talk with 24v owners they say they wish they had a 12v even with the noise. Everyone i talk to say they love the 12v like mine.
Yah know when im down at sea level i get it to smoke black when i floor it getting onto the freeway. I believe thats too rich as i now drive at 2,500' and the less dense air will make it overly rich for this altitude. I need to ask this at the vlv adj next week to see what they can do. Maybe a leaner setting will help reduce the noise.

cardo
Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

it may a tad, but they just dont make enough cylinder pressure (what ignites diesel) when at idle. you can try tons of tricks, but i promise it will always be noisy. but also tow like a freight train and run forever!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

So i get my new BD 3 piece SS exh manifold installed and by itself the truck seems quieter. They can hear my order now at drive through windows w/o shutting down. FYI the shop tried to install the BD 1 pc SS exh manifold twice and it just does not fit. They sent the first manifold back and the secoud manifold didnt fit either. BD made it right and i got my 3 pc exh manifold in SS at a discount. Glad i didnt try to install that myself as i wouldnt have know better and wrestled with that thing until i broke something - i hear the last bolt hole on the cummings 12v head busts out easily.

Also got my boost gauge hooked up and lucky my mech noticed my boost was low. I was only getting 11psi - 12 psi boost when should have more. Found my pass side intercooler hose had worn a hole in it. Replaced both hoses and now have 18psi boost - yahoo.

Now looking for quiete 4" exh pipe w/ muffler - ha ha.