Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1L build up photos.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get that thing tuned?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck no!

I cant get the guy we used on all the other stuff to call me back.. Do you all know of any good shops that i could take it to.. Im on the va / tn line.. dont care to travel but i dont want to drive 800 miles for a tune. Charlotte nc is about 230 miles, Ronake va is about 220miles, ashville nc is about 130 miles. knoxville tn is about 150 miles. Im in the middle of no where lol. Id like to find a place thats mostley gm... i know tuners can say they do it all but ive only talked to like 3 that have ever foolded with a 8.1L. I dont want to be there test guy with a blower attached to it.

The way mine is set up now, it has a lot of timing pulled and fuel pulled out so that it doesnt get flooded by the 60lb injectors. It was a quick to tune to get me going in the snow.. its has snowed ever day i think sence before christmas.

I hope with a tune ill pick up more power.. it runs good but not where i think it should be... then again the illusion of speed is off set a lot when its this big.

I also think my trans is trying to pack its lunch and go home... Its not sounding to good..

Here is a vid from last night.. i never knew gm wanted these trucks to go 90 in second lol.. i need gears bad. Its not liking the extra 500 rpms.. I think mine use to shift at 4500 now its 5K.. But its not liking it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgAODXDa-fE

Last edited by Kerr; 01-14-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

From your videos, your 1-2 shift seems better with the higher shiftpoint, it seemed like you were shortshifting in tehe arlier video.

When the TCC locks in 2nd gear at around 3800rpm, does the truck seem to pull better or worse?

It seems like the engine turns on above 3500 rpm. I wonder if that is some Torque Management' like tables holding you back? I am interested to see you get a good tune.
I have looked through a few 8.1 calibrations and see that they have power/torque "nannies" that enable during 1) Launch 2) Trans upshifts 3) when shifting from drive to reverse or back again under power (Abuse Mode). Those are just the 3 that I have seen quickly looking through the tables.

A good PCM tune will wake your truck right up IMO. Then you'll be able to do the burnouts that you desire.

peace
Hog
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hog
From your videos, your 1-2 shift seems better with the higher shiftpoint, it seemed like you were shortshifting in tehe arlier video.

When the TCC locks in 2nd gear at around 3800rpm, does the truck seem to pull better or worse?

It seems like the engine turns on above 3500 rpm. I wonder if that is some Torque Management' like tables holding you back? I am interested to see you get a good tune.
I have looked through a few 8.1 calibrations and see that they have power/torque "nannies" that enable during 1) Launch 2) Trans upshifts 3) when shifting from drive to reverse or back again under power (Abuse Mode). Those are just the 3 that I have seen quickly looking through the tables.

A good PCM tune will wake your truck right up IMO. Then you'll be able to do the burnouts that you desire.

peace
Hog
Cam he used does come on at 3500 rpm.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kerr
Here is a vid from last night.. i never knew gm wanted these trucks to go 90 in second lol.. i need gears bad. Its not liking the extra 500 rpms.. I think mine use to shift at 4500 now its 5K.. But its not liking it..
yeah, the 4L80e and 85e have some tall gears in them. My dads truck is the same and it seems so slow with the high gears. With the 8.1 and the ally and 4:10 gears in my truck, it makes a nice shift pattern and feels soooo much stronger.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes there is a lot left in the tuning.. Its real real safe right now because i dont know what im doing to be honest. there is a lot of timing pulled as well. My buddy drew said there is probably 65-70 hp left in it with a tune just in the fuel, timing and spark settings alone. Id rather pay someone that does it for a living than blow my junk up..

All the tq management is gone, as well as throttle delay, and drive line abuse.

This truck has always run strange... my wife use to have a 06 nissan armada.. she would run off and hide from me on the way home but from a 60 mph roll it would slowley walk on the armada when both where stock... however the armada went 15.1 in the 1/4 and the sububran best was a 17.4 Im pretty sure its all in the ggearing on that.

By the seat of the pants and my high tech timing features on the black berry lol... it seems that the suburban runs almost as good as a 2011 denali... but it just doesnt feel the same..

wfo from a stop with the whipple on the sububran.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JfU0...er_profilepage

wfo from a stop in wife 2011 denali.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VycQ9...er_profilepage

I guess the burb is impressive, im just use to a lot more... I mean its making a lot of power and tq, at night if you roll on the trottle like half way and then let out you see the head light drop and feel the front end come back down. but by riding in it it lacks the "feel"

I had this same issue with two of my toyota supras, the 98 car dynoed 486whp my wifes 93 car dynoed 476 whp 98 was 6 speed and 93 auto... the 98 felt damn impressive, pinned you in the seat ever shift.. the 93 sorta pinned you in the seat but didnt give the impression of speed. It was like riding in a 88 caddie... but when you looked down you where at tripple digit speeds.

best time in the 6 car was 12.4 @121 the 93 auto went 12.1 @118. but if you got out of the auto and into the 6 speed you would sware it had 300 hp more...

im reading up on turbos... i think i might sale the whipple and do two small twins, or a big single.. the whipple is awsome.. it its on boost just about instantly but it doesnt pull on the top end.. so i thinking like to 60 or 67 mm and sale the whipple set up, or do like a 57-60 mm turbo and blow it into the whipple..
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

im reading up on turbos... i think i might sale the whipple and do two small twins, or a big single.. the whipple is awsome.. it its on boost just about instantly but it doesnt pull on the top end.. so i thinking like to 60 or 67 mm and sale the whipple set up, or do like a 57-60 mm turbo and blow it into the whipple..
Those are PROB gonna be too small...Just my opinion but you are gonna need around a 76mm at the least.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

yes there is a lot left in the tuning.. Its real real safe right now because i dont know what im doing to be honest. there is a lot of timing pulled as well. My buddy drew said there is probably 65-70 hp left in it with a tune just in the fuel, timing and spark settings alone. Id rather pay someone that does it for a living than blow my junk up..

All the tq management is gone, as well as throttle delay, and drive line abuse.

This truck has always run strange... my wife use to have a 06 nissan armada.. she would run off and hide from me on the way home but from a 60 mph roll it would slowley walk on the armada when both where stock... however the armada went 15.1 in the 1/4 and the sububran best was a 17.4 Im pretty sure its all in the ggearing on that.

By the seat of the pants and my high tech timing features on the black berry lol... it seems that the suburban runs almost as good as a 2011 denali... but it just doesnt feel the same..

wfo from a stop with the whipple on the sububran.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JfU0...er_profilepage

wfo from a stop in wife 2011 denali.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VycQ9...er_profilepage

I guess the burb is impressive, im just use to a lot more... I mean its making a lot of power and tq, at night if you roll on the trottle like half way and then let out you see the head light drop and feel the front end come back down. but by riding in it it lacks the "feel"

I had this same issue with two of my toyota supras, the 98 car dynoed 486whp my wifes 93 car dynoed 476 whp 98 was 6 speed and 93 auto... the 98 felt damn impressive, pinned you in the seat ever shift.. the 93 sorta pinned you in the seat but didnt give the impression of speed. It was like riding in a 88 caddie... but when you looked down you where at tripple digit speeds.

best time in the 6 car was 12.4 @121 the 93 auto went 12.1 @118. but if you got out of the auto and into the 6 speed you would sware it had 300 hp more...

Boy does your truck turn on at 3500rpm. Good stuff.

peace
Hog
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man,

If i could just get more boost... might do a pully swap once whipple emails me back and lets me know if the blower will fly appart lol..