WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

My wife has decided to CCW

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My wife has decided to CCW

Back in June of 2014, we both received our permits. She has been back & forth about carrying a couple of times, but recently decided that it's something that she wants to do.

There is an indoor shooting range about 1 1/2 hours from here, and they have a large selection of rental guns. So we headed up there yesterday. She was able to handle all of the popular choices, then chose a few to shoot. To my surprise, she has chosen the Shield 40.

Here is a pic of her target at 10 yards, 3 mags thru the Shield 40.
Name:  382717E9-DD2E-41C0-B725-0F9DB18B9CEF.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  328.3 KB

Now the holster shopping begins.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those top 7 shots are pretty ineffective in real life situations, head shots are the last thing you want to be trying to do in an emergency... they're "cool" and all in movies and video games, but it's the smallest part to try and hit quickly. most instructors I have sat in with or talked to want you to focus on center mass, mid/high center chest (where the heart is)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
those top 7 shots are pretty ineffective in real life situations, head shots are the last thing you want to be trying to do in an emergency... they're "cool" and all in movies and video games, but it's the smallest part to try and hit quickly. most instructors I have sat in with or talked to want you to focus on center mass, mid/high center chest (where the heart is)
Agree - paper practice and moving, human target execution are two entirely different scenarios. Good for her (and you) to go CC. My wife and daughter both CC everywhere as do both of my sons. Pleased to see more and more female CCW permit holders these days. Like I always told my daughter, "A woman without a gun is a victim waiting to happen".
Old 03-09-2016, 12:15 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
Can't argue with your points, but the purpose of the exercise was to try shooting multiple pistols, and determine which one would be a good choice for her.

Actual practice will begin at the local range this weekend. We usually just use 10" paper plates, not those high dollar fancy targets.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd highly recommend Lobo gun leather, very high quality holsters for a great price. Holsters for just about any method of carry she would like to employ. I've got an iwb snap loop for my 4" model 19, a pancake style for my 1911 and a belt holster for my model 29. Eventually I'll get around to ordering more iwb holsters for my guns
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Thanks Richardman. I agree with you on the quality of Lobo Gunleather. I already own 3 of his holsters, and his gun belt.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I CC a Shield in .40 as well. Solid piece that I have found will eat just about anything I dump thru it. Reloads, cheap factory ammo, expensive carry ammo, doesn't matter. I have had one fail to feed out of mine and it was 100% my fault, I didn't have the mag seated fully. One fail to fire from a reload, which I'm certain was a bad primer, it was struck squarely. I have put over 2K through it otherwise, mostly Winchester white box factory ammo. Excellent choice for a CC weapon, the extended mag makes it easier to live with for range use as I'm sure you've found by now. The .40 is pretty snappy.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CZ P07 9mm in a alien gear holster. its a extremely cheap holster but still going strong after 6 months of daily use. for 35 bucks its worth trying out
Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Cleaned the factory grease off, cleaned & lubed the Shield yesterday morning. Then off to the range.

She ran about 120 rounds thru it yesterday. It ate PMC FMJ, BlazerFMJ, and Winchester HP. Zero malfunctions. My wife says she really likes it.

Then she ran another 50 rounds thru the XD40, and tells me that it's still her favorite! With a big smile on her face. Love that woman!

Today I'll teach her how to field strip & clean it.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that CZ P07 is a good piece, it's a continuation of the CZ40 which is what I carry most of the time, of all of my pistols it is my favorite!

Quick Reply: My wife has decided to CCW