Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

What to tell tuner for towing app?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullpower
Towing 7000 pounds with a HalfTon pickup is a lot easier if you install 4.56 gears.
Set the PowerEnrichment to cut in around 45 or 50% Throttle.
DO NOT write "93 octane tune" for a vehicle intended to TOW, that would be extremely counter-productive.
And try to find a stock air cleaner assembly, especially for a tow rig, you don't need breathe all that HOT UnderHood air into the engine.

( Realize, an aftermarket CAI is actually a HOT air intake )
Thanks for reply yea (I changed my mind and want to tune it on 87 as several places around country dont have 93). I also read some stuff on how stock motors don't gain that much of benefit out of a 87 vs 93 tune for towing applications) I'll look into power enrichment and figure out how that works.

The volant has a fully enclosed air filter box that's open same location as stock on the fender. But yea I agree as my K&N on my other truck is open with crappy thin heat shield.

As far as 4:56, I'll just have to see if I want to pull the trigger and spend money on them, but I agree. I was trying to just build it best I could cheap for starters with bigger trans cooler and tune. I'm on the fence about going ahead and having the transmission rebuilt. My trans shop said they would put heavier duty clutches and other stuff to help beef up the typical weak links in 4L60e