Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

What to tell tuner for towing app?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to tell tuner for towing app?

Hey guys haven't been on in years, but have 06 CC 2WD with 3.73 Just has a CAI wanting to leave it stock other wise besides a tune. I dont want to do exhaust or headers cause it is nice a quiet lol

I'm towing a 7-8K lb airstream RV trailer.

I know there is a million things to ask them, but what are some main things to ask the tuner for perfect tune up.

Like shift point ranges and what levels of line pressure.

Can you set ignition and fuel trims for maximum midrage power since truck never really goes over 4K rpm etc
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Yes you can use a dyno to achieve the best performance under load in certain area's but with a stock motor and basically stock everything else you are very limited. The likely hood of gaining any real power is going to be slim because of what you are working with.

Transmission tuning can be played with and either way you'll be towing in 3rd gear all the time if you want to save the transmission. 4th gear won't be happy with that heavy of a load and you'll be lugging the engine.

I'd suggest running premium fuel as well because the engine is going to be under a fairly heavy load most of the time while towing and the higher octane fuel will help with knock as cylinder temps rise.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

It's probably best to work with a local tuner on something like that. You can hook up your trailer and have him log it. he can also adjust shift points to your liking that way.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I suggest, trans servo mods.
Vette, billet 2/3 and cover plus cooler upgrade.

Thos will allow for a much faster shift while still being "soft" if you want that, aka no bang into next gear.

It will save your clutches, from slipping and wearing under load.

Ol boy sponser sells the trucool kit, makes it plug n play for the cooler, but you will need to do the servo mod your self or pay (dumb) to have them installed.

This is basic "i wnt to tow with a shitty 4l60 trans" upgrade. Its worth evey penny.

Someone post up the sonnax servo kit part numbers please, along with or boy who sells those amazing trucool brackets.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Yes you can use a dyno to achieve the best performance under load in certain area's but with a stock motor and basically stock everything else you are very limited. The likely hood of gaining any real power is going to be slim because of what you are working with.

Transmission tuning can be played with and either way you'll be towing in 3rd gear all the time if you want to save the transmission. 4th gear won't be happy with that heavy of a load and you'll be lugging the engine.

I'd suggest running premium fuel as well because the engine is going to be under a fairly heavy load most of the time while towing and the higher octane fuel will help with knock as cylinder temps rise.
So you recommend running in 3rd gear verse using tow haul?
Yea I was going to have him tune it for 93 octane. Should it be okay if I put 91 in it as some state have 91 and not 93?

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
It's probably best to work with a local tuner on something like that. You can hook up your trailer and have him log it. he can also adjust shift points to your liking that way.
That's a good idea, I didn't think about having him log tune it while towing the trailer. Thanks a lot
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ezdaar
I suggest, trans servo mods.
Vette, billet 2/3 and cover plus cooler upgrade.

Thos will allow for a much faster shift while still being "soft" if you want that, aka no bang into next gear.

It will save your clutches, from slipping and wearing under load.

Ol boy sponser sells the trucool kit, makes it plug n play for the cooler, but you will need to do the servo mod your self or pay (dumb) to have them installed.

This is basic "i wnt to tow with a shitty 4l60 trans" upgrade. Its worth evey penny.

Someone post up the sonnax servo kit part numbers please, along with or boy who sells those amazing trucool brackets.
Yea I was going to put a bigger trans cooler on it. I'm thinking about having the transmission shop go ahead and rebuild it. I don't remember what all they said they will do to it, but will put heavier duty clutches in it and a slightly larger stall gaskets etc for $1300 plus tax. Trans has 150K on it and would hate for it to go out in the middle of no where.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I have towed the trailer to the river several times its about a 50 mile drive mostly flat roads. Truck does pretty well, just gotta take it slow and easy lol Just trying to beef it up for the long hauls and steep hills all over America next spring.

Truck is a 5.3L also with efans forgot to mention that.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topher67
So you recommend running in 3rd gear verse using tow haul?
Yea I was going to have him tune it for 93 octane. Should it be okay if I put 91 in it as some state have 91 and not 93?

Thanks for the reply
I think what he's recommending is to run 3rd gear and tow/haul mode. Towing anything in overdrive will quickly kill a 4L60.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Towing 7000 pounds with a HalfTon pickup is a lot easier if you install 4.56 gears.
Set the PowerEnrichment to cut in around 45 or 50% Throttle.
DO NOT write "93 octane tune" for a vehicle intended to TOW, that would be extremely counter-productive.
And try to find a stock air cleaner assembly, especially for a tow rig, you don't need breathe all that HOT UnderHood air into the engine.

( Realize, an aftermarket CAI is actually a HOT air intake )