Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Total timing with 87 octane, 2002 5.3 Z71 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Oh ok. I just looked at the first file you posted. Those trims look perfectly acceptable to me. The VE does look off though. If you're concerned, you can keep hunting for the problem. But as long as you've got your trans shift pressures dialed in right and you find a way to improve the fuel economy, you can just leave them as they are.
Since re-doing the VE, the truck "feels" much more smoother accelerating, and I guess just smoother running all around, if that makes sense.

Only issue I noticed this morning, was on a low speed turn off the main road, and higher load acceleration (maybe 2000rpm?) my wideband showed like 11.8 or less for a few seconds, but accelerated well...

Might need to up the PE activation throttle % in that lower rpm? Like I said, it accelerated well, but I couldn't see anything weird on the log. Maybe my AEM wideband (which is independent of the HPTuners) is quicker reacting than the HPTuners is?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Since re-doing the VE, the truck "feels" much more smoother accelerating, and I guess just smoother running all around, if that makes sense.

Only issue I noticed this morning, was on a low speed turn off the main road, and higher load acceleration (maybe 2000rpm?) my wideband showed like 11.8 or less for a few seconds, but accelerated well...

Might need to up the PE activation throttle % in that lower rpm? Like I said, it accelerated well, but I couldn't see anything weird on the log. Maybe my AEM wideband (which is independent of the HPTuners) is quicker reacting than the HPTuners is?
Delaying PE is one way to improve fuel economy. So long as you make other necessary adjustments, you will trade some part throttle torque in exchange for better MPG. Up to you.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

FWIW, 21 total, on 87 octane is the sweet spot for mine.

Tried being a bit more aggressive with timing, and running 93, but it really didn't feel/seem 50 cents a gallon worth of better, so I'm sticking with the 87. Basically just 3-5 degrees more timing than factory stock seems to be working well, even towing.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Just to update...

I gave it one last try yesterday after work...

The VE still seems to want those big numbers.

VE tuning flash has the MAF, LTFT, PE, all disabled.

Had to tweak and reflash 4, maybe 5 times.

Truck kept running noticeably better and better after each flash.

Majority of my VE logs showed negative fuel trims, so I re-enabled the MAF, LTFT's, and PE, and logged the drive to work this morning.

LTFT's were -5% or less (most -4%)
STFT's were averaging -2% to -3%
WOT AFR was right at commanded of 12.2 according to my wideband (not connected through HPTuners)

I'm guessing the VE numbers want to be where they are?

One log, just for the heck of it, I set the ones that are 120-130 at 90, and the whole log was RED, adding 25 or more % fuel...

attached my VE tuning flash, and my current "finished" tune, with LTFT's, PE, and MAF all back in play.

Any feedback?
Your VE#s are fine to be honest. I see the same thing in most LS based stuff I have tuned. That is with correctly scaled injectors, good fuel pressure, etc. My 5.7 Vortec setup in the Express van is in the 120-135 range for a good 2,000 rpm of its powerband from 80+ KPA.
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (02-21-2017)