PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   STFT, LTFT, VE Tuning and logging (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/stft-ltft-ve-tuning-logging-374187/)

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 08:21 AM

STFT, LTFT, VE Tuning and logging

Okay, just a warning. I plan on asking a series of what may seem like basic questions here in the next few days, weeks, years, or decades. I will say up front that i have or will be searching for all the answers before i post the questions, so im not looking for things that have been answered 1000 times before. The main problem i have when searching for things is i will read halfway into a "how-to" and realize it was meant for HPT instead of EFILive and since i am not familiar with the layout of HPT, i have to fall back and punt.

So what i am looking for at this point is a good starting place. I want to do some logging of my LTFT's, STFT's, and fill in my VE table accordingly. I have found this tutorial to be the most detailed about doing this......https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304025 however, it is written for HPT. I want to know the steps for doing this with EFILive. I understand the concept, but need help with the directions in doing this with EFILive because the terminoligy is different between the two programs.

With EFILive i assume i will disable the MAF as well correct? I know there is a way to do this in the software, but this manual also says it can be done by just unplugging the harness and ignoring the code. Then to set up some "histograms" for logging the STFT's and LTFT's. I assume EFILive does not call them "histograms", but something else. Okay, let me try this another way because i am getting long winded here.....LOL. This is what i want to do.....I want to log my short and log term fuel trims so i can dial in my VE table. This is a good starting point, yes? Using EFILive, and talking to me like i am an idiot, can you give me a basic run down of how to set stuff up to do this in EFILive?

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 08:45 AM

Just as a reminder, i am F/I as well. Not sure what if any difference this makes other than the obvious.

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 09:51 AM

okay, i found this....http://68.178.219.18/tutorials/AutoV...20Tutorial.pdf. This is for STFT's, and requires a WB that i dont have yet. Guess i need to get that thing in soon in order to really get moving here. If anyone has any suggestions above and beyond this tutorial let me know. Or if anyone has anything to add to it please let me know.

Wilde Racing 09-11-2006 11:19 AM

I know you can't just unplug the MAF, it has the air intake temp sensor built in. When the VCM is running in SD (no maf, tuning the v.e table) it needs to "know" air intake temps to help calculate air density.

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I know you can't just unplug the MAF, it has the air intake temp sensor built in. When the VCM is running in SD (no maf, tuning the v.e table) it needs to "know" air intake temps to help calculate air density.

I got that covered, i installed a remote IAT sensor in the Whipple intake elbow a while back, right before it dumps into the manifold. Just capped off the wires at the MAF.

Is there a difference between the LC-1 Lambda cable, and the standard LC-1 cable? I keep seeing the reference to "Lambda". What does that mean? Is it just the name of the cable, and are they the same thing?

Yelo 09-11-2006 12:06 PM

can I reccommend: redhardsupra.blogspot.com as a good starting point for tuning information...alot of it is HPTuners specific but the spreadsheets should work for every tuning packange out there....

I've also got something I'm post ign up in a few minutes that should help you out some....look for a thread called Tuning 101 shortly

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 12:12 PM

its already been 4 minutes and i dont see it....:)

Yelo 09-11-2006 12:14 PM

Look again...it's stuck at the top of the page and locked, I'll be adding to it over the next few days so I locked it to prevent additions to it

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 12:18 PM

cool, thanks Yelo.

Whippled 496 09-11-2006 12:48 PM

Thats a good read YELO, thank you. Can i do the same thing with STFT's or is that not really needed? I assume WOT tuning is not done with the LTFT's or STFT's? Does it matter that i am running F/I? I mean, if im running up a steep hill i might be in boost at 2500rpms but if im cruising around an flat ground i would not be in boost at those same rpms, know what i mean? Or is there a totally seperate way of tuning boost (Kpa) aside from LTFT's? I probably worded that wrong, but i think you know what i mean right? Its possible to be in various MAP pressures in various ranges of RPM's all the way up to and (in case of F/I) beyond 103Kpa. Maybe im just overthinking it.... :eyes: