PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   maf screen (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/maf-screen-367994/)

Dirty Dave 06-18-2006 12:36 AM

maf screen

Can I remove the screen in my maf or would that mess with the calibration? Every once in a while my maf gets blown off when on high boost. Im using a 5/16 socket to tighten the clamp instead of a screwdriver. I plan on getting T clamps in the future but that screen looks like a bad restriction especially at 15psi. :bang:

TIM Z 06-18-2006 07:23 AM

It will mess up your tune, I'd try the T bolts clamps, I had a friggen nightmare trying to tune my screenless MAF. Or you could go Speed density tune and lose the MAF.

Dirty Dave 06-18-2006 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by TIM Z
It will mess up your tune, I'd try the T bolts clamps, I had a friggen nightmare trying to tune my screenless MAF. Or you could go Speed density tune and lose the MAF.

I did a search using maf screen and it looks like you are correct. I plan to get a 2 bar sd tune soon.

03NHSilvy 06-18-2006 09:22 AM

what is the benefit of going SD? I was told that a SD setup is harder to tune, just curious.

zippy 06-18-2006 10:45 PM

Are you maxing the maf's numbers while logging?

Yelo 06-18-2006 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
Can I remove the screen in my maf or would that mess with the calibration? Every once in a while my maf gets blown off when on high boost. Im using a 5/16 socket to tighten the clamp instead of a screwdriver. I plan on getting T clamps in the future but that screen looks like a bad restriction especially at 15psi. :bang:

At 15psi you should REALLY be running in SD mode....you've got to be REALLY close to maxing the MAF. HPTuners offers custom 2-Bar SD OS's that make tuning in SD mode alot easier than trying to do it on a stock OS

moregrip 06-18-2006 11:44 PM

it's my understanding the only reason the screen is there on our trucks is because the route from the MAF to the TB is not direct, so the screen aids airflow by straightening it out. If we had a direct route I imagine our MAF would be screenless as well, and yes it does slightly reduce airflow.

TIM Z 06-19-2006 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by zippy
Are you maxing the maf's numbers while logging?

what is the max value for the MAF or what is considered close to max?

Yelo 06-19-2006 03:36 PM

12000hz is max MAF

TIM Z 06-19-2006 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yelo
12000hz is max MAF

thanks, im still trying to learn some of the values on mt interceptor gauge and how they affect my tuning, such as watching the MAF value @ a certain rpm while the W/B is reading lean and bieng able to add fuel at that precise point in the table instead of throwing more fuel over a wider area and getting it too rich where it doesnt need it. I need a course on tuning :bang: