Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much timing?

I finally got HPTuners and I'm really happy with the way the truck drives now. All I've done so far is remove torque management from the engine, and about 40% from the trans. I've played around with the shifting a little and it's good so far.

I have not messed with the VE table or spark tables yet. I'm waiting until I order a wide band.

My question is how do you modify the spark tables? Do you just add a few degrees of advance to the whole table and log and see if there is any KR? I'm running 87 octane and on all of the logs I've done so far there is zero knock retard.

I may read my buddies truck who has a predator and use his spark tables as a starting point but I haven't been able to plug into his truck yet and I'm anxious to try it myself.

Thanks,
Joey
Old 03-12-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

No, you don't add it everywhere.

Only add timing where needed. That will involve taking a log and watching the graphs to see where the motor is at on the timing curve at WOT, then you can select a small section of the table and add timing there. 87 octane is not very forgiving with extra timing unless this thing is running mid 11's for commanded AFR but doing that is just taking power away.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Spark is the hardest thing to get right with just cruising around. You can add or subtract and not really notice a difference sometimes, and in some cases if you keep adding timing you can actually loose power without getting KR. Really tuning spark is best done on a dyno, but that isnt practical for most people. In general these engines want 23-26 degrees at WOT while NA basically stock. Even if you can run more it doesnt mean its doing you any good.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I won't mess with it now then. I should have specified earlier though I was mostly wanting to try it to see if I could add a little where I cruise on the highway and try and gain a little mpg.

I am about to order longtubes either tonight or tomorrow and then I'll do my VE/MAF tuning.

I appreciate the responses. I've done a good bit of reading about tuning but I have a long way to go. I really love trying to learn more about it so I'll keep plugging away at it.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

See as how you are so close to me, I do offer tuning services through my vendor account here (Atomic Performance), and would be happy to help you if you want someone to bounce question off of or want me to tune something for you and you watch. Shoot me an email at atomicFandP@gmail.com if you are interested.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks I appreciate it. I may take you up on that once I get a few more things done to it.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

There are so many tables that add, subtract or influence timing overall. Alot of guys just zero these tables out and command their timing in the main spark tables.

Timing is different for every vehicle. What one likes, another might not. Off idle timing curves can also effect the way a vehicle drives/performs.