Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

FIX FOR: Win 7 + HPTuners = no install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FIX FOR: Win 7 + HPTuners = no install

I am using HPTuners and Windows 7 on my computers. When I first installed HPTuners (just after Windows 7 came out), it installed without issue. Now 6 months later I attempted to reinstall (did a rebuild on my desktop) and I couldn't get HPTuners to install. I kept getting the "can't find Net Framework 2.0" error when Win 7 comes with Net Framework 4.0. You can't install 2.0 into Win 7 because (rightly so) you already have 4.0.

The issue seems to be that over time, Microsoft has sent out updates and one of them (no clue which) messes with HPTuners finding Net Framework.

The solution is to remove the Net Framework requirement from the HPTuners installer. You will need to download "Easy MSI Editor" to pull this off (Google it....it's freeware).

Install MSI Editor and use it to open your HPTuners installer. Go down the list on the left hand side and fine the "LaunchCondition" table. Delete this table (right click and delete). The issue seems to be that HPTuners doesn't properly detect the pre-installed Net Framework so this will in essence "bypasses" the issue.

Perhaps this will save someone else from the I had this morning...... I even emailed HPTuners for assistance and the reply I got was

I don't know. Do some searches on HPT forum and see if you can find anything.
thanks......
Attached Thumbnails FIX FOR: Win 7 + HPTuners = no install-msiedit.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.22 with the net framework checks removed can be found here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...4&postcount=23

The framework checks are in there for a reason as our software requires net framework 2.0 or later so those that are running older pc's and net framework 1.1 or something like that need to upgrade to net 2.0 to use our software.

With that said microsoft recently came out with an automatic update that has created issues with the check in the installer software we utilize when building new compiles. So the software you received is the correct one and will work fine for any customer running an older pc or running without automatic updating turned off, the new build is an easy fix for those using automatic updating.

Not sure who you spoke to via email but if you have any further questions regarding this or any other issue feel free to email me at bill at hptuners.com

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
2.22 with the net framework checks removed can be found here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...4&postcount=23

The framework checks are in there for a reason as our software requires net framework 2.0 or later so those that are running older pc's and net framework 1.1 or something like that need to upgrade to net 2.0 to use our software.

With that said microsoft recently came out with an automatic update that has created issues with the check in the installer software we utilize when building new compiles. So the software you received is the correct one and will work fine for any customer running an older pc or running without automatic updating turned off, the new build is an easy fix for those using automatic updating.

Not sure who you spoke to via email but if you have any further questions regarding this or any other issue feel free to email me at bill at hptuners.com

Thanks,
Bill
Thanks Bill... it helps to have someone to answer questions or at least point in the right direction...