Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Do I have a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a Tune?

So not to sound like an idiot but is there a way to tell if the previous owner tuned/reprogramed my truck for the supporting mods on the truck? It feels sluggish when I step on it from zero but comes alive after 20mph or so, also does not always kick down when pedal is floored. Trying to see if there is more ro get or if I am already atpotential for parts installed.

On a side note I saw somewhere that you can plug something into your odb2 sensor and drive for a while send off the file and you can get an ecm programed custom to your trucks driving characteristics.... who makes it?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Without a file pulled from the computer there is really no way to just tell something was done. Perhaps watching certain parameters or things like fuel trims could give it away if nothing was done depending on mods. Someone with HP Tuners or EFI live could compare your file to a stock file from the same year and via any changes between the two.
The following users liked this post:
Jackhamer85 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:12 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Not really unless you pull the tune file and know what to look for.

EFILive and HPTuners both use the OBD2 port to log what the truck is doing and you use that information to tune the vehicle.

Last edited by Atomic; 04-03-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Jackhamer85 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

if you had access to a gm tech 2 or an mdi you could pull the calibration and check the part number against stock.
Jackhamer85 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic
Not really unless you pull the tune file and know what to look for.

EFILive and HPTuners both use the OBD2 port to log what the truck is doing and you use that information to tune the vehicle. If you are interested in doing some remote tuning or purchasing HPTuners I can help you out with that, I am a sponsor here and HPTuners dealer.

Ok, I would be interested in the hp or the efi live, I am not looking to constantly change the tune, mostly it will have a good daily drive tune 87 or 89, and a performance tune 89 or 91. I would love to be able to have a third tune for towing but not really a priority.

What would the ball park cost be and which would be a better setup.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:54 PM

So basically I would plug it up,run the truck for a day through the usual driving, then make a few hot runs on I 10 upload the file and you could make a tune with that info and my mods as listed?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 AM

Ok, let me see what my check looks like on friday, looking about what 3-350 ish
Old 04-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackhamer85
Ok, I would be interested in the hp or the efi live, I am not looking to constantly change the tune, mostly it will have a good daily drive tune 87 or 89, and a performance tune 89 or 91. I would love to be able to have a third tune for towing but not really a priority.

What would the ball park cost be and which would be a better setup.
So these types of tunes arent really like diesesl where you can load up a +50hp or +100hp tune in a few minutes. It is basically get the truck tuned for whatever fuel you want to run and keep using that fuel. You could in theory upload different tunes, but the difference will not be huge, and that would be a pain to keep track of.

I like hptuners obviously. You will need the interface either purchasing, or borrowing from a friend. I can get you a discount off retail (Which is $500 for the standard) if you want to purchase the interface and my tuning services are between $200 and $350 depending on your mod level.

Something different I am thinking about trying is loaning out an interface for customers to use if they dont have one already, then when they are finished they ship it back to me for a refund. This would basically be retail price up front, but you get a full refund minus the credits used when I get it back. So basically a middle ground between trying to borrow one from a friend, and paying full price for something you are only going to use a couple of times.

So basically I would plug it up,run the truck for a day through the usual driving, then make a few hot runs on I 10 upload the file and you could make a tune with that info and my mods as listed?
Pretty much. You'll need a laptop or tablet to log with (unless you want hpt pro which has standalone logging). I'll give you some scanner files to use and tell you what I want you to do or try, you do that then send me the logs. I'll look at them and makes changes to the tune file and send it to you to upload and the cycle starts over. Goes pretty fast for NA vehicles. With me future retunes are free (unless you go up a level in power adder, then you pay the difference.

Ok, let me see what my check looks like on friday, looking about what 3-350 ish
Sounds good, I look forward to hearing from you!
Jackhamer85 (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way you described your truck's power band sounds like mine. I haven't gotten mine tuned but have bolt ons.