PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   cranking problems (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/cranking-problems-489329/)

Bumpers 09-25-2011 04:44 PM

cranking problems

I made a thread on this a while back but have never figured out what the heck is goin on and have about givin up on it. Might be long winded

Ok so when my truck is cold (been sittin for a while) when you crank the truck it will turn over once or twice like normal then slow down and barely turn over till it cranks kinda like it would do with a weak battery. Checked the battery and its good.. I can also put my battery charger on it and put it on 225 cranking amps and it changes nothing. Still barly wants to crank.. I can leave it sittin on a 2amp charge all night and still doesn't want to crank. Next I changed the starter thinking that maybe the starter was weak and couldn't turn over the engine when cold that did nothing as well.

What's wierd about this is that it only does it when cold and it started about 6 months ago and I have kinda ignored it because its only when I cold start it. Only once when it was hot it clicked like the battery was dead when the truck was hot but next time fired right up.

I have checked everything I know to. I took every ground off and cleaned then and checked for any bad spots in the wired but come up empty handed.. I also put a new alt on the truck..

I'm at a loss.. anyone had any similar problems or an electroics expert can give me alittle help or suggestions on things to check.. Any help is apprieciated this is really aggravating and I don't want to be left stranded one day when it won't crank

Thanx guys

skeet 09-25-2011 04:55 PM

Garret for shits and grins have to tried a new battery? i know you mentioned the battery checked out good, but it could have a cell going bad and trickling down and not taking a full charge.

Bumpers 09-25-2011 06:27 PM

I think I did a while back but I don't remember for sure I may try it this week.. Never really had any problems out of my optimas though

mhotrodscooter 09-25-2011 06:41 PM

Borrow a battery & see what it does..

dlt76028 09-25-2011 07:06 PM

change your front o2 sensors. when mine were bad it would just crank and crank.

AJII 09-25-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by dlt76028 (Post 4779942)
change your front o2 sensors. when mine were bad it would just crank and crank.

That's not his problem. His starter barely turns over.

GMCtrk 09-25-2011 07:34 PM

check all your grounds. I had similar issues several years ago and found it to be a loose ground on the engine. Otherwise, I agree it could be the battery too.

Bumpers 09-25-2011 08:02 PM

I will swap batteries one afternoon this week and see if it changes anything..

I've checked cleaned and regrouned everything, changed starters, checked charged battery..

It will turn over like normal the first two times then barly turn over very slowly and finally fire up.. After it runs for a few minutes it cranks just fine.

There's 2 grounds on the drives side of the block and 2 or three behind the intake right?

skeet 09-25-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpers (Post 4779974)
I will swap batteries one afternoon this week and see if it changes anything..

I've checked cleaned and regrouned everything, changed starters, checked charged battery..

It will turn over like normal the first two times then barly turn over very slowly and finally fire up.. After it runs for a few minutes it cranks just fine.

There's 2 grounds on the drives side of the block and 2 or three behind the intake right?

i believe youre right as for grounds, i also wonder if your engine relays may be getting weak? dunno bro just throwing it out there to check. you mention your grounds are ok but what about the hot side ( positive ) cables

Bumpers 09-25-2011 09:01 PM

Yea I cleaned all the cables hooked to the starter and the terminals on the battery are clean too..

It started doin this after about 6 or so runs at the track one night. Left It sittin while I was watching everyone else run and when I went to leave I thought I had left my lights on or somthing.. But the next morning it did the same and ever since when its cold it does it. It worked fine for 2 or 3 months until then