PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   Cleaned MAF, ping went away...for a day (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/cleaned-maf-ping-went-away-day-539479/)

lucas287 09-02-2015 08:36 AM

Cleaned MAF, ping went away...for a day

Hello gentlemen,

I have a raunchy ping pretty much at any throttle input past 20%.

2000 4.8 with 270,000 miles.

Just replaced intake gaskets and knock sensors, made sure there are no vacuum leaks. Installed some TR6 plugs to help remedy the ping. I ran two cans of Mopar Combusting Chamber Cleaner through the pcv fitting. None of this helped. On the highway, with the ever slightest incline it will ping like crazy. Oh yeah, fuel filter is fresh too.

So I decided to clean the MAFS...HUGE difference...like right away! Drove it around for a few miles that day, several little trips in town, and it felt fantastic and NO PING.

Over the next couple days, it reverted back to its normal ping condition, with an overall gutless feel.

Can someone confirm that my MAFS needs to be replaced? Is it O2 sensors overcorrecting?

I'm forced to run 93 with a stock tuned 4.8...no ping, but it doesn't have the timing advance to handle and power feels even more down.

FFDP 09-02-2015 10:18 AM

Watching live data on a scanner would help to determine if the o2 sensors are lazy or if the MAF sensor is reading oddly.

And if the o2 sensors have never been replaced, you should do it anyway at that mileage.

lucas287 09-02-2015 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5309514)
Watching live data on a scanner would help to determine if the o2 sensors are lazy or if the MAF sensor is reading oddly.

And if the o2 sensors have never been replaced, you should do it anyway at that mileage.

I don't have a scanner. Would one of those goofballs at Auto zone be able to help with that? Strange that either the maf of the O2 sensors are bad and neither throw a code...

If they can help. What would I look for?

terravast4 09-02-2015 12:16 PM

by any chance are you running a K&N filter?

lucas287 09-02-2015 12:45 PM

UOTE=terravast4;5309531]by any chance are you running a K&N filter?[/QUOTE]

I sure am. I'm very guilty of over oiling it too. Probably why it was such a distinct difference after I cleaned it. I just don't get why a day later it reverted back.

black00chev 09-02-2015 01:45 PM

It probably sucked more filter oil onto the MAF. Try cleaning it again.

Also, use as little oil as possible to get an even coat over the filter. Its better to wash and re-oil more often than to keep coating the MAF.

lucas287 09-02-2015 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by black00chev (Post 5309542)
It probably sucked more filter oil onto the MAF. Try cleaning it again.

Also, use as little oil as possible to get an even coat over the filter. Its better to wash and re-oil more often than to keep coating the MAF.

Dang. You think that quickly it could've done that? I'll for sure try again tonight! Looks like I can get some upstream denso o2 sensors for about $45. Might go ahead and order those too.

black00chev 09-03-2015 06:21 AM

Oh yeah... I had cleaned and oiled my filter a day or two before I had a live tune done. I cleaned the MAF the day before to make sure it was good. Well, the day of the live tune, we had to stop and get some more cleaner because the MAF was acting up again. Ever since I use as little oil as possible to get it covered.

2xLS1 09-03-2015 10:00 AM

Throw the K&N in the trash. Use a paper filter.

Old Buzzard 09-06-2015 09:39 AM

^^^^^^^^^^
2X is dead on!