Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

All tuners need your input...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All tuners need your input...

Calling all DIY tuners...your input needed...

20111 4.8l 2wd 4L60e

Has Full bolt on's 3200 stall stock 4L60e

Was dyno and street tuned by a shop using HPTuners

Only change I made is went from the stock 3.23 gears to 4.11's.

I never tuned one with a trans module. I know on the older ones it was a simple few mouse clicks and done. Pretty simple.

Shop wants $200 to just adjust for the gear swap changes. They said it fairly involved and would need a little while to get it done.

Rip off or is it more in-depth because of both the modules?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Takes less than 30 seconds. Hptuners has has a tool that auto scales the shift tables for you when you change tire height or rear end ratio.

However, the shop may have a minimum labor charge and it does take time to download and upload the file so that may be some of it.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Ya that's a bunch of bullshit. Is this the same shop that previously tuned it or a new shop?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Takes less than 30 seconds. Hptuners has has a tool that auto scales the shift tables for you when you change tire height or rear end ratio.

However, the shop may have a minimum labor charge and it does take time to download and upload the file so that may be some of it.

Sorry Richard. I had to LOL.

It's about 2min total with the TCM write. Including the 15sec wait time.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same way with EFI Live if anyone is wondering
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Ya that's a bunch of bullshit. Is this the same shop that previously tuned it or a new shop?
Same shop....i left them some "great" feedback on social media.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kind of thought so....I didn't want to rush to judgement before knowing for sure.

I usually do all my own work but live in a APT. At the moment so I had this shop just get this work and tune done. I truly believe they think there customers don't know squat about vehicles and throw prices out and if they pay it it's cool.

Like I said in my social media review...be careful who you try and Bullshit...and you as a shop wrote your own feedback. I immediately recieved an email saying ahh ahh I made a mistake..I thought you meant...blah blah blah...they were caught in some BS plain and simple. I had talked with the shop on the phone before this email another time and explained only adjusting for the gear swap...you can't tell me it's the first time they have done a gear swap tune adjustment. They are a well known established shop that attends one of the biggest LS events every year.

Here is the email they sent me initially to justify the tune adjustment for the gear swap...

Russ,

The $600 would include just the gear swap itself.. If it was as easy as just going in the calibration and changing the ratio I could throw it in on the deal but I think he is going to have to completely re-tune the transmission because of shift speeds and what not..

Jesse is going to want a transmission tune cost of $200 to do so.

We could tackle the exhaust fabrication, XYZe Fabrication is actually located in our same building and does a lot of work directly for us.

Last edited by Bigschwerm; 03-18-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

If someone that I tuned came back with a gear change I would just do it for free. It's quick and a loyal customer is worth more then trying to squeeze every penny constantly. IMO.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Yea, thats why I offer free unlimited retunes also, especially for something like that. I've even turned guys away that I didn't think I could improve their situation at all, no reason for me to take their money and them not get a commensurate return on investment.