PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/)
-   -   6l80E tuning (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/6l80e-tuning-554772/)

Jonblarc7 02-20-2019 10:59 AM

6l80E tuning

I always here on here that you don't need to change much on the 6l80e to get it to run really good. But nobody ever says what little things they changed to get there 6l80e to shift better.

The back ground is I'm ruining a 2014 6.2 with the 6l80e and 3.42 rear end. In stock form and only adjusting for 34" tires and leaving everything else STOCK it wasn't bad. But now i have 33" tires and about 10 pounds heavier 22x12 wheels. It feels confused.

In a thread along time ago on my 2008 denali I was having problems with TOW MODE GR8TALK briefly went through how he does it. I was wanting to see it anybody else had a more in depth explanation. Or anything to add.

"Typical methodology is to slightly raise the low throttle position upshift speeds by 5mph or less from 0 to 50%ish. Then smooth the table out from left to right so upshifts occur at higher speeds as thorottle increases. There is almost never a need to raise shift speed above 75% unless you have changed tire size or gear ratio and or desire a higher wot shift in regards to engine speed. Then make the exact same mph changes to the down shift tables relative to gear so not to send the tcm into a frenzy. Usually 3-4mph is good from 0-50% tps on the up and down shift speeds. Highlight the entire table for all shifts both up and down from 0-50 and add x then make sure table goes up from left to right. Load it and evaluate. After 50-100 miles it should be adapted and you can correct to feel. Don't change single cells as this can result in odd behavior."

Atomic 02-20-2019 12:38 PM

Trans tuning is one of those things where different people are going to like different things. What is too harsh for some is too soft for others. HPTuners has the automatically adjust shift points button when you redo the tire size, that should help a lot.

Jonblarc7 02-20-2019 01:16 PM

Thanks Atomic I'm going to go ahead and do that. There are just some other things I wanted to touch up. Like it pauses between 1-2 up-shift at part throttle and I think it's 2-3 under wide open throttle.

Since I got my HP tuner from you I'm trying to sell some stuff to pay for header and a tune from you, I don't trust my self on the engine with this direct injection stuff. This is just to get me by until I let you do your magic.

FFDP 02-20-2019 02:58 PM

I can walk you through some easy transmission changes. I change maybe less than 7-8 area's of the calibration to get it to do what I want. The DI engines make things a tad different but overall the transmission side is close to the same as the previous PI trucks.

I don't have a MPVI2 so I can't change your tune and send it back but team viewer makes things really easy to show.

2xLS1 02-21-2019 07:54 AM

Eliminate all TCC lockup until 4th gear. Starting in 2014 GM started locking the converter in 1st gear. Then min speed for lockup in 4th, 40 mph, 5th 45 mph, 6th 50 mph. I have transmission shops that have me do this on every 6L80 they rebuild. That will also help tremendously with part throttle KR.

Jonblarc7 02-21-2019 12:53 PM

Thanks 2xLS1

FFDP gave me a call last night and went over some tips and that was one of them. I made my first set of changes last night and was going to load them at lunch. But I got my laptop but forgot my cable!!!

One thing i can't remember if we went over it the

Full throttle shift speed and shift RPM. Should i raise them on a stock camshaft truck. This is the stock settings in normal

RPM

Speed
1>2 27
2>3 56
3>4 86

Jonblarc7 02-21-2019 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here is what I'm working with.

Jonblarc7 02-22-2019 08:22 AM

loaded the tune this morning and it is much improved. I need to adjust the tire size slightly because the speedometer is reading about 3 mph slower than what my GPS says.

But the bigger thing, which still isn't that big of a deal is I have the TCC lock up in 4TH at about 42 I think and I'm just going to try it with it disabled in 4th too.

I live in the country but work in a small city. I spend a lot time right around the 42 mph while in the city and this morning it felt like it was locking and unlocking with very little throttle impute

ZO6Ted 02-22-2019 09:31 AM

I'm no tuner but I would keep an eye on trans temp if you disable it in 4th. Of course I like to cruise in M4 from light to light so...

Jonblarc7 02-22-2019 10:39 AM

Ok I will. I'm going to do some more driving at lunch and see what it does.