Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

6.0 pulling timing at 3000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abarth500.
If you watch the videos, I forgot to mention that 80% of the time, it behaves like the First Run with 0.0 KR until 3000.

Only sometimes, after being heatsoaked, will it KR off of idle (which I expect in that case). The interesting thing is that when it's heatsoaked and pulls timing from idle up, it pulls less timing over all than if it stays at 0 KR until 3000.

(I could be very wrong about this next bit..I have no idea what I'm talking about)

Possibly because it's switching to the low octane map and doesn't command much timing advance in the first place?
TorquePro is good for seeing live data but its pretty worthless for datalogging. You'd really need a log from hptuners to get the whole picture.

You also hit the nail on the head with the low octane map. After so much KR it'll drop down to the low octane table and run off of that map until your next drive cycle. I'm no expert but my guess is that you're seeing the stock tune doing what its supposed to and TorquePro is only displaying any deviation from the timing map as knock retard. It could be a combination of torque management and some other tune stuff doing what its supposed to.
The following users liked this post:
Abarth500. (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I can help, but I need better data.
Abarth500. (07-21-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, from the looks of it, I need to invest in VCM scanner and the corresponding scan tool?

I tried to get VCM scanner to connect to my OBDLink MX via Windows but no luck.

OBDWiz (came with the OBDLinkMX) seems pretty good but I don't see a lot of the GM specific PIDs- torque Pro has more, for example.

Does the stock tune do anything special in the 3,000 RPM area? I do understand the stock tune is conservative and all, but I don't think it should ever do what it's doing right now.

Sorry I'm so ill prepared to log data... still finding my way around the information in this community.

Last edited by Abarth500.; 07-22-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

HPTuners and a wideband is the norm for safe wot tuning.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Teching In

I'm talking to a local tuner (who I didn't know existed until I reached out for someone with HPTuners) about getting a few logs in. Just waiting for a response.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Well, sorry for leaving this thread dead in the water, but the tuner never got back to me and life sort of took over. I'm still working on getting it logged and all.

Back at it again, and I've ruled out the knock sensors. I am getting a high voltage code from the downstream bank 2 O2 sensor so I'll look more into that, but something is definitely not right. But for the meantime, wow 0.5 degrees of ignition advance at 80% throttle is horrible lol. When it's cooler and it doesn't pull timing, the thing rips (well for a gas 2500 anyway).
Old 03-29-2019, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tuned a friends truck and had a similar issue. Once it got up to temp we would see 8 degrees of knock retard consistently around 2400 rpm and upwards with a decent amount of throttle input or full throttle. Was damn consistent every time around this area. Turns out it was a broken knock sensor. He had installed new ones and torqued them down too much. I know you said you checked the knock sensors but I would revisit this area. This was a gen 3 engine with the 1 wire sensors in the valley. I forgot what the ohm reading should be to ground, but we found 1 of them no good. I turned off bad one in the tune and that 8 degrees of knock was gone. Good luck.
Abarth500. (06-03-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Again, wow its been a long time. I am not the primary driver of the truck, and the primary driver doesn't really care much about it not running right (or denies there's a problem) so motivation ran out. However, I'm about to take the thing on a 2,000 mile journey so I'd quite like to get it fixed.

Issue still stands, exactly as it has before. Seems local tuners don't particularly want to mess with it because it has the E78. Really, at this point, I just want to check and make sure it has a stock tune on it. We replaced the knock sensors, upstream o2s, the issue persists with the MAF unplugged, BARO unplugged, map sensor got "changed" and then swapped back once it made no difference.

It seems to end up about 1-2 degrees of timing advance at WOT @4500RPM, for example. Obviously not making any power, and RIP EGTs.

Not completely sure what to do from this point on, except look for someone with HPT or whatever other software is needed to check the tune or flash it stock. Any advice appreciated, as always.

Thanks, Jon.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Its all gonna be a guessing game and shooting the parts cannon at it until you get an actual log of it.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
Its all gonna be a guessing game and shooting the parts cannon at it until you get an actual log of it.

I'm happy to go out and do logs right now, I just need to know what to log (that I can with torque pro).

I've done a few at WOT but I'm not sure what all y'all need to help diagnose it.

Cheers, Jon

Quick Reply: 6.0 pulling timing at 3000 RPM