Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2016 Gen V Tuning Issue

Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Gen V Tuning Issue

Hey guys,

We recently fabbed and installed a kit on my 2016 truck, but we are fairly new to the Gen V tuning in these trucks are we are running into an issue where it is only allowing 6-9 degrees of timing through the pull. We are only at 6psi and don't really want to add more boost till we figure out the timing issue. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated...would be willing to pay someone for any help as well!

Specs are a bone stock 5.3 with a turbo kit, even running the stock exhaust, AFR is 11.6-12.3
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
saturdaypull6.hpl (215.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Looks too rich for DI motor, 12.5 under boost is better to aim for from what I read.

You may also want to read the comment on HP Tuners forums, GEN V tuning is no joke and everything must be in line or it won't do what you want.

Where is your 2 bar MAP sensor? You can't tune boost correctly without one. VVE and MAF both need to be tuned for boost as well.
The following users liked this post:
Mean03 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

It has a dip on tip in is where it hits 11.6 and then climbs up to mid ish 12's...at the end of the pull it's around 12.5.

I posted this up looking for help for my tuner so I'll pass this along to him...but from my understanding these motors use maf for fueling and the maps are the same ones used in the boosted motors.

He made a post on hptuners forum but has only gotten someone telling him to read every thread posted in the section...so hasn't been much help yet lol
Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

He must have missed the first part. Peak engine torque MUST match actual engine torque. Both those things do not even come close to matching in that log. The person said that likely because whoever tuning it doesn't know that and that they need to read more on tuning these types of motors.

Yes the MAF is used for part of the fueling but so is the VVE tables. VVE is always used for transient fueling on any GEN 4 and GEN 5 motor. Too many tuners just disable the VVE and think nothing more of it, is a complete hack of the tune, no but it should always be tuned for boost. Same with the 2/3 bar map. How can you or the computer know how much boost it's seeing in a data log if you don't even have one installed.
The following users liked this post:
Mean03 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

I see what you're saying about them being different in the tune...peak being at 879 and max being in the 300-340 range depending on rpm, but would that cause the timing issue we are having?

On the peak torque, do we need to make the table match what it's doing through the pull at whatever the rpm is at vs the table, similar to the factory table?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Have you looked at your spark limiter tables?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmann26
Have you looked at your spark limiter tables?
The first time I looked at the tune was late last night, but haven't looked at the timing tables...my tuner was saying the other day they were all zero'd out. But I did look at the peak torque table and it was maxed out, so going to get that back in line and go from there and see if this resolves our issue. Will keep posted
Old 03-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

You're missing a lot of (almost all) critical information in that log file. But here's a shot in the dark... Zero out surface 12678 'Flex Fuel Spark'. Really, you should just disable virtual flex fuel entirely... Having that enabled will completely wreck your fueling and have you and your tuner pulling your hair out, particularly right after you fill up at the gas station. There is also at least about a dozen diagnostics that should be either modified or disabled. I didn't even look at the VVE..

Last edited by smokeshow; 03-22-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I'm the guy from HPT's forum. I can't see your file at the moment but I'll give you a small bit of advise. First off please don't max the peak torque table. That creates massive issues. Take stock values and increase them. Try to make that table resemble actual. This will yield the best results. I also remember your PE tables being all wrong. Just so you know PE will not be commanded with Peak Torque too high. Only adjust peak torque up when limiting occurs. I'll glance more at it in a little bit but this new system is complicated and using methods from previous controllers will create issues. My comment was not ment to offend but rather help you resolve your issues. I can't begin to explain how much time and research I have into the E-92 controllers not to mention $. Seriously read what has been posted as I don't understand everything and I can all but promise you it will help.

Search this Thread