Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2000 Z71 Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z71 Fog Lights

My fog lights have bit the dust. Lenses broken out and bulbs......

Well what is a good aftermarket setup that will look good, fill the holes properly and put a lot of light on the road?

And can I wire them to stay on with the hi beams?

Just recently started working the night shift and live where theres not much light. (yea in the sticks).

So what can you recommend?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say get some factory replacements and throw some HIDs in them.
just searcch for the 4 hi mod and it should pop up how to keep the fogs on.
or u can do what i did and purchase a harness from mr taillight .com
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

I've noticed stock replacements all over ebay for about 50-60 a pair. The dealer price is something like 100+ per light. Even at that there just isn't enough light there for them to ever be worth a damn. I took mine off and tied the wires up for the longest time then I decided to put a Westin black grill gaurd on it, the kind that has the center section open for light mounting and the round bar that goes across the park light/head light opening of the grill gaurd to protect them. Anyway I put some 100W lights on it and used the stock fog light harness to run them and they actually throw some serious light. I try not to run them much since its nearly double the load of stock but I've never noticed the wires getting hot either. Probably not a good option for you but thats what I did.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Yea seen the 4 hi mod, thats pretty cool.

Found some replica fog light for about 75 a pair. How do you know if they are worth a crap though?

Someone I was talking to mentioned state law and how many head, fog/driving lights you can have on at one given time.

Anyone know about Texas and the law here for lights?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oldred95
I've noticed stock replacements all over ebay for about 50-60 a pair. The dealer price is something like 100+ per light. Even at that there just isn't enough light there for them to ever be worth a damn. I took mine off and tied the wires up for the longest time then I decided to put a Westin black grill gaurd on it, the kind that has the center section open for light mounting and the round bar that goes across the park light/head light opening of the grill gaurd to protect them. Anyway I put some 100W lights on it and used the stock fog light harness to run them and they actually throw some serious light. I try not to run them much since its nearly double the load of stock but I've never noticed the wires getting hot either. Probably not a good option for you but thats what I did.
You get what you pay for with eBay housings. I bought some and put hids in them and the housings bounce and shake with each bump in the road. It's bad enough that I hardly use the fog lights at all.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jpodell
You get what you pay for with eBay housings. I bought some and put hids in them and the housings bounce and shake with each bump in the road. It's bad enough that I hardly use the fog lights at all.
My stock ones weren't any better though. One lens blew out while it was sitting in the parking lot at work one day. I grabbed it and before I got a chance to glue it back in the other one fell out while driving so I got rid of them. They were never bright enough to see more then a faint glow just past the nose of the truck so it wasn't like they were helping much. I don't use the off road lights much except at night when there is little traffic. They actually shine out there further than the high beams do so I just run the lows and off road lights so I can see the deer and turn them off when I meet a car.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

The factory lights are driving lights... Not fog lights.

They're only purpose is to fill in the void between your headlights and hood...

That few feet of "dim" area.

Retrofit or buy a good set of projectors, stick some 3000k HID's in them, and wire them so you can turn them on without the headlights.

Then you'll have real fog lights
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by drperry
The factory lights are driving lights... Not fog lights.

They're only purpose is to fill in the void between your headlights and hood...

That few feet of "dim" area.

Retrofit or buy a good set of projectors, stick some 3000k HID's in them, and wire them so you can turn them on without the headlights.

Then you'll have real fog lights

OK, what lights do you recommend?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

You can probably find a good set of halogen lights to put in there, the Blazer brand projectors do pretty well, I had them on my Blazer, and will probably retrofit them into my GMC.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I've noticed the newer trucks have larger lights down there.

Meeting them on the road at night they seem pretty bright too.

Maybe I should try the new GM lights and retrofit them to my 00.

I wonder if that front air dam or the whole bumper assembly would bolt up to mine?

If not I could cut the holes bigger I guess.

Quick Reply: 2000 Z71 Fog Lights