PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-132/)
-   -   performance chip? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-132/performance-chip-471982/)

austinb5y 11-08-2010 12:13 AM

performance chip?

hey guys

im looking to BOOST my hp on my 2001 5.3l silverado, im putting intake, headers, and maybe a chip into it.

ive been looking around and it seems custom tune and chips are somewhat similiar? which would you say is better?

i've been looking for chips online and it seems the web is populated with "50 hp, 50 lb/torque, 5 mpg plug-and-play" chips for $70-$100. that can't be right. i know there are chips that do work, i just cant seem to find them.

any help?

thanks!

SLOXCAB 11-08-2010 12:16 AM

do not but a chip. get a real tune from one of our sponsers. they are cheaper than any chip or handheld and will produce way more power

Parke10 11-08-2010 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB (Post 4573796)
do not but a chip. get a real tune from one of our sponsers. they are cheaper than any chip or handheld and will produce way more power

What this guy said Black bear,wheatley,etc are sponsors who do great work

they are on the right side of the page >>>>>>>>>

plus i dont think its even possible to "chip" these things.

Spoolin 11-08-2010 02:31 AM

We aren't saying this cuz we are butt huggers of Wheatly, Black Bear, Nelson, etc... We are saying it because some of us have gone down the road of hand-held tuners and we can honestly say it's a waste of money.
Go with a Mail-Order tune from one of the sponsors or get your truck tuned locally by a professional and credible tuner.
If you really want a hand-held, PM me and I'll sell you my POS from 5 years ago for half of what a new one costs! :D

trever1t 11-08-2010 06:53 AM

nobody "chips" the computers anymore. In the old days you replaced a ROM in the PCM, now what you do is plug into it and upload a new program which alters fueling and timing.
This "tuning" can be dome with handheld units or tuning software packages.

LS1FREEK 11-08-2010 08:00 AM

Custom tuning FTW!!

dmelvin 11-08-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB (Post 4573796)

+1, My dad had a handheld tuner, and I went the way of a Blackbear Tune, I forget the exact numbers, but I made about 140%-150% gain versus what the handheld did.

EDIT : And I paid about $100 less

Sc00by 11-08-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin (Post 4573814)
We aren't saying this cuz we are butt huggers of Wheatly, Black Bear, Nelson, etc... We are saying it because some of us have gone down the road of hand-held tuners and we can honestly say it's a waste of money.

Yep and Im one of them. I bought a hypercrap a few years ago for my 03 sonoma I bought. (before I found this site :bang:) it made a difference but not much. :eyes: It just happend to work with my 03 sierra that I have now. I noticed a SMALL difference right off the line but other than that I cound't tell I had it installed. They are a complete waist of money when compaired to a custom tune. :D After my recent mods Im heading to a local tuner for a dyno tune.:devil:

Also what kind of headers are you planing to install?

austinb5y 11-08-2010 05:52 PM

ya i was thinking a tune but id rather a shop do it so i guess ill have to find one. and im looking at some shortie headers but i might just do the extra work and get long tubes. im not sure what kind tho