PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-132/)
-   -   one of you guys should try a megasquirt (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-132/one-you-guys-should-try-megasquirt-343594/)

parish8 07-04-2005 09:22 PM

one of you guys should try a megasquirt

i dont know what you guys have avaliable but it sounds like not much yet. i think it would be prety easy to put a megasquirt on a dodge if someone was in need of some fuel control. here is a link to a write up i did awhile back. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245059

bad360rt 07-05-2005 08:11 AM

You know, I've seen people talk about MS a few times, and I've read a lil on it. I hate to be the guinea pig tho LOL Can it control any size injector? Right now I'm running a patched up setup of aux injectors controlled by a Split Second box and 36lb injectors controlled by an SAFC-II. It sucks. I'm way too rich down low (gonna try some 30lb injectors, should be able to smooth it out some). But it would be nice to ditch the aux injectors and just run some big injectors and be able to tune it. Standalones are crazy, $1500 for the AEM universal setup, that again, no one has tried on an R/T yet, or $2500 for an Accel DFI or FAST setup. Does anyone sell the prebuilt units? You don't want to see me with a soldering gun and circuit board LOL

bad360rt 07-05-2005 09:00 AM

Just finished reading your other thread. Looks like I'd need that flyback board to run the big injectors. Gonna do some more reading, but this looks very interesting. Too bad you guys are so far away LOL

kbracing96 07-05-2005 11:41 AM

You only need to use a flyback board if you going to run low impedance injectors. I have built 2 of these from the kit form and there really not that hard. I had never sodered anything like this before but I am an experanced welder, so that may have helped. You can get prebuilt units on ebay and from these guys http://www.diyautotune.com/products.htm
http://www.rs-autosport.com/

Both are great sorces and DIY Auto Tune is super fast on there shipping with great kit.
I might have an extra one and a stimulater I could sell ya, PM if your interested.

bad360rt 07-05-2005 01:52 PM

My biggest concern is how will the MS box work with the factory pcm? Will it throw codes? Will the factory pcm still be able to control everything else while the MS controls the fuel? Our trucks are heavily dependent on the pcm, tranny, dash, etc. are all controlled by the pcm.

kbracing96 07-05-2005 04:32 PM

Parish could coment on this a little better them me I think, but If you just added an air and water temp and taped into the TPS and an O2 and suppled and rpm signal to the mega. Then all you would need to do it hook the ground wires from the injectors to mega and it would be controling the fuel. The stock PCM would still "think" it was controling them, so it shouldn't throw and codes or anything. It wouldn't know anything was any diffrent. Are trucks are the same way as far as beind dependant on the pcm for so many things, and it seems to work for Parish. I am a bit of a Megasqurit newbie, but I have a real good understanging of how the system works. Where your so limited on tunning with your PCMs, I think this would work great! It would give you full control over your fueling and with a little work, could probably also fully control the ignition too.

parish8 07-05-2005 04:57 PM

just like Kb said. the stock pcm will not know you are messing around. you may have to put some resistors across the injector wires you pull off so the stock pcm doesn't see them missing. i have tuning acess so shuting off codes is no big deal for me. if you guys got any codes you would have to find a way around them like i mentioned above, a resistor should fool the pcm.

i ran 55lb high z injectors and am now running 95lb low z injectors with the fly back board. seem like a prebuilt unit with a harness goes for around $500, not positive about that. lots of places to buy them or you can build your own for much less.

on something new like a dodge i would start with fuel and try ignition later.

bad360rt 07-05-2005 05:05 PM

Yeah, I'm only looking to do fuel. Sounds like it'll hook up similar to the SAFC-II that I'm using now to trim back the 36# injectors, it intercepts the MAP signal. But with the MS I'd be able to ditch the aux injectors and just run some bigguns :) How big of an injector would I need for around 500rwhp? Well, and maybe a lil more, just to be safe, don't want to have to buy injectors twice. DIYAuto has them preassembled for $250, and another $50 for the harness. Does it need a dedicated O2 signal? Wideband or narrow? I have a wideband on my truck that I could feed to the MS. Definitely gonna have to keep researching this, it would rock if I could get it to work on my truck, there's definitely some more power to be had if I can smooth out my a/f.

parish8 07-05-2005 05:11 PM

for 500rwhp you should be ok without the flyback board. i am not sure what will bolt right into your truck but for a gm looking at the hp i would just go for the 60lb units. that would give you lots of room to grow if needed.

you can tie a NB or WB into mega. of course a NB will only acurately correct to 14.7-1 but with a WB you can target your a/f ratio to any mixture you like. i find this one of the most valuable features.

i found wireing the thing up very easy, tuning is very easy as well. loading up new software/firmware is kind of tricky but you probably wont ever have to do that unless you start usuing some of the advanced features and come across a bug of some kind.

bad360rt 07-05-2005 07:05 PM

I've got the rectangular injector connectors, I think they're EV1? I had to swap them in for the 36lbers. Hooking up the wb and being able to target a specific a/f would rock! Definitely gonna have to keep reading up on the MS, but I think I might give it a shot eventually. Gonna try 30lbers in my current setup, since I just wired in the SAFC, see how that works.