Diablo intune i1000, how good and safe is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diablo intune i1000, how good and safe is it?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 chevy silverado with a 4.8, only mod currently is a flowmaster 40 dual exhaust and I recently got an airaid, made the truck run aweful and idle horribly. I took it off and sent it back and autoanything sent me a diablo intune i1000, but im starting to have second thoughts on a programmer. How safe are the canned tunes for my drivetrain and how safe is the programmer for my ecu, will it fry over time or will I be ok? Ive also heard many stories where these particular programmers freeze during an install and also can rrase your stock tune, also there lots of veuchles not supported as well.
is a custom tuner able to send me a tune based on my truck, mods, mileage ect and I can load ir through this programmer?? Would I be better off sending it back and just getting a volant intake and stay out of uncharted waters?

help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jaxon2580
Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 chevy silverado with a 4.8, only mod currently is a flowmaster 40 dual exhaust and I recently got an airaid, made the truck run aweful and idle horribly. I took it off and sent it back and autoanything sent me a diablo intune i1000, but im starting to have second thoughts on a programmer. How safe are the canned tunes for my drivetrain and how safe is the programmer for my ecu, will it fry over time or will I be ok? Ive also heard many stories where these particular programmers freeze during an install and also can rrase your stock tune, also there lots of veuchles not supported as well.
is a custom tuner able to send me a tune based on my truck, mods, mileage ect and I can load ir through this programmer?? Would I be better off sending it back and just getting a volant intake and stay out of uncharted waters?

help would be greatly appreciated

You can get custom tuning through the intune ... Your ecm should have adjusted for the airraid or any cold air intake... as you put miles on it it will adjust but it is optimal to get tuned for it ... There is always chances you take with anything you do to a vehicle but i have not had any issues with either of my diablo programmers.....and if it did lock anything they will get it straight and get u going .... The best tune is by a tuner but the custom tunes through Lew at Diablewtunes is pretty damm good ... I can testify to both my vehicles in my sig below.... U wont be dissappointed by going that route but it is up to you to either used the canned tunes ... Get custom tuning after that thru the intune or send it back and find a tuner....its really up to you but like i said u would not be dissappointed with custom tunes thru that intune ....
Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 AM
TECH Regular

Oh and welcome to the site.....
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BIGDADDY1969
Oh and welcome to the site.....
Thanks you man, glad to come to a forum that actually answers my questions, so you have reliable service from the intune? And about my airaid I put about 400 miles on it and reset the ecu twice with the same results so I just took it off and put the stock back on, but now it still has the extremely low idle issue (300 rpm)
Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Jaxon2580
Thanks you man, glad to come to a forum that actually answers my questions, so you have reliable service from the intune? And about my airaid I put about 400 miles on it and reset the ecu twice with the same results so I just took it off and put the stock back on, but now it still has the extremely low idle issue (300 rpm)
Thats wierd itshould have reset itself ... But definitely a custom tune would have gotten it straight with the airraid installed.... It would have been noticeable ... I installed my vararam ram air kit before i got tuned and both my car and truck adjusted themselves accordingly with noticeable pickup in both ... Afterwards i got my custom tune through both trinity(in the gt) and then intune(in sierra) with excellent results on both .. The canned tunes worked well before the cust tunes but there is still a lot of room for improvement over a canned tune ... And i dont think theres a canned tune available that i saw for my vehicles for a cold air or ram air kit ... You would need a cust tune to adjust for it with the intune im pretty sure...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Cool

Theres a lot of help in here but not everyone has used everything available out there so theres mixed opinions ... Everyone has opinions about hand held programmers and i know an actual custom tune from a tuner will net the maximum results BUT myself as well as others using mail order tunes (wether it be e-mail tunes thru diablo handhelds or actual drop the ecm in the mail to get a tune) have gotten next to best results with mail ordered tunes ... A few people have taken a look at the custom tunes from Lew (Diablewtuning) thru the diablosport tuners and have very good responses to what they read. Last i heard from someone in this forum was it was the best mail order tune they had seen ... Hes pretty much an expert on GM tuning with the Diablo tools... Hes on this site as 06MonteSS and on the dialbosport website forum ... He usually answers questions on the Diablo Tuning section in here ... Cant go wrong with him

Edit: I see know that you had posted in the tuning section where DiabloSport is a sponsor ...
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

As mentioned to achieve the best results, a custom tune with the Intune through one of their dealers would net you the best results.

The Issue with your Low Idle is either mechanical or maintenance related.

Either you left something loose or you need to service or replace something. If you had the oil style filter It may have contaminated the MAF sensor with the oil and it needs to be cleaned. Only use a Cleaner designed to work on MAF sensors that says it is safe for it. Other chemicals can leave residue or cause more damage to the sensor. Also make sure all your air tube connections are tight. If you have a leak, it will allow unmetered air in causing an Idle issue. You may also need to clean the throttle body as the build up with deposits over time.

As far as what you have read for hand held tuners. There are many factors that play into that.

1. Where was the hand held device stored???
2. Was the battery low on said vehicle at the time they tried to flash it???
3. Was the vehicle properly maintained or does it possibly have electrical issues??? Example: corrosion on battery and grounding points.
4. Was the vehicle properly maintained mechanically???
5. How was the vehicle used???

Now some hand held devices do have a worse reputation than others. But with the Diablo products being able to datalog and up load custom tunes from a licensed Diablo tuner into them they seem to be much more versatile than other handheld tuning devices.

Any mail order tune you get from a Tuning company is going to be close and they're all going to have similar results. Nothing will beat an in person live tune. The closest you can get is sending live data to a tuner and let him make the changes based on what he see's and your feedback.

Some mail order tuning companies offer a similar service by sending you a cable to data log and then you can upload a tune based on that.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

I did know there was someone from diablo on here, I was hoping they might've saw this thread and posted to try and put me at ease with my questions, as far as the rumors I've stated are based off reviews I've read over the intune on silverados in particular, and for custom tunes have a cable sent in for me to record data seems useless? I thought the intune could record data for like 30 minutes and then I upload that to the computer, send it to a good tuner company, then they create my custom tune based on that with the knowledge of my current mods as well.. I guess I need more info on custom tuning, and as far as the idle problem I honestly don't know what was wrong, on istall ONE drop of sweat did hit the wiring on the MAF but that is all, and I tightened every clamp very well, but now the stock is on and the issue is still present so I'm thinking its a vacuum leak or another related issue.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

And also if rather use a volant as the day after I happened to take the airraid off and stock back on, we had a flash flood in my town and I put the front of the truck underwater on the way home from work, something airraid told me would cause their filter to take on water, so I'm lucky I finally got tired of it, I've also read volant's powercore has a better effenciency than airraid synthamax
Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

the volant powercore filter really isn't that good... you're better off with their regular cone-type filter or a different intake... the powercore filter tends to make the trucks run pig rich at normal part-throttle driving....

and yes, you can do full data logging with the intune.. and I can definitely get you hooked up with a custom tune for it/your truck as well....

and if you're having idle issues, then something's up with the truck - the MAF or something else...

you have the stock GM maf on there right??? you don't want an aftermarket MAF sensor...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 07-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Diablo intune i1000, how good and safe is it?