THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Well i just completely alienated my own beliefs....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Well i just completely alienated my own beliefs....

I went and bought a.... and i hate to even admit this.....97 honda civic!!!!! Had to sell my beloved 30-30 marlin 336 to get it and register it, and i had to rebuild 2 brake lines on it and order a battery that wasnt $130 for it. With the job i am starting on monday i couldnt afford to drive either of my trucks to work everyday, and really dont want to put that kind of mileage on them, especially the yukon until i can replace the other 15 valve springs and actually get the tune straight on it..... never thought i would ever with a straight face be able to look anyone in the eye and say i own a honda..... but i do!!!

The other side of this car is i have a 17 year old that is about to get his license so, once i get transferred to the new shop the new job is opening in the next couple months and i am not driving 30-40 miles one way to work, and money starts roling in again, and i have a chance to make sure all the tedious little stuff (if any) is fixed with the civic he will get it.....

I need a new battery hold down, a coolant reservoir cap, have a surging idle only in park to fix, and to make sure i dont have another brake line blow out! All little stuff that just needs so tlc..... it is a $300 car after all!!!!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

It's a econobox commuter car, no biggie.

This is the same reason my dad drives a 2012 Mazda 3 M6 that gets over 40mpg and my mom drives their big truck. Longer commutes with stupid good mpg is the way to go no matter the car really.

I'd drive a honda or something similar if I needed too because of a long drive to work.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Never owned anything not american built.... first import and second non gm, first car was an 84 mustang, second was an 81 camaro, then a 91 s10 and a bunch of other s10s and chevy fs trucks..

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 06-15-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

I miss my honda...38 mpg even if your foot was shoved through the firewall.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I drove my silverado to the new job today, then went and dropped my kids off which wasnt too terribly far out of the way to get home, and from the gas station (next to the old fulltime and once again part time job) where i put $20 in my tank and home i may as well have not put anything in it... still need a battery and to mess with the iac valve on the honda, probably do that tomorrow to at least fix the idle and the battery is going to have to wait til thursday when i get paid, just have to jump it to start it for now!!!

Charged the battery for about 4.5 hours on thursday and got it to a whopping 11.27 volts and 4 cca....
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I drove my silverado to the new job today, then went and dropped my kids off which wasnt too terribly far out of the way to get home, and from the gas station (next to the old fulltime and once again part time job) where i put $20 in my tank and home i may as well have not put anything in it... still need a battery and to mess with the iac valve on the honda, probably do that tomorrow to at least fix the idle and the battery is going to have to wait til thursday when i get paid, just have to jump it to start it for now!!!

Charged the battery for about 4.5 hours on thursday and got it to a whopping 11.27 volts and 4 cca....
if that model honda has a coolant filled iac valve its worth pulling it and cleaning it. They like to stick open and it causes a throttle surge big time. Took me awhile to figure that out. Just remove the intake boot at the throttle body with everything still plugged up and while it running block the port on the throttle body before the throttle blade. If it starts to idle normal thats the problem
Old 06-17-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think all the hondas have water filled iac valves, i will mess it with some more once i get the battery in it.... hopefully have that tomorrow

But in the meantime

Whole new meaning to beater, dont think there is a straight panel on it and the hood is red
Old 06-17-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

All shiny from the sun....
Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Drove her home tonight after work.... charged the ac up and the low side sits around 10psi and the high side about 250, but the high side fitting needs to be repalced freon was blowomg out of it as soon as i took the adaptor off of it! Tried to mess with it he iac valave a bit but no dice, i did notice that when the ac was charged (before i took the high side hose off) it didnt surge so i am thinking that with a properly functioning ac system it may not surge anymore, i will still pull the iac off and see if i can adjust it or clean it to fix it.. the idke aurge is really bugging the hell out of me....
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Drove it to the new job and the car wants to start on the battery now.... i will still replace the battery, but may not be as pressing of an issue as i had thought originally

Quick Reply: Well i just completely alienated my own beliefs....