THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Truck disabled, need help identifying hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
While very true, who really keeps a random fuel pressure guage laying in there vehicle?

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
If hitting the bottom of the tank will make the truck start, you've got a bad fuel pump.

I'm with these guys, walbro 450 and a HotWire kit is what I'd go with. Supposed to be E85 compatible. And ditch the KB booster.

And stop buying fuel pumps on Amazon! Have you guys ever heard the term "seconds"?
So far, haven't had to beat the bottom of the tank with this pump... it looks like that may change

You talking about a Racetronix hotwire kit? One of these? http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...FPWK-017WX&eq=

Where do you get seconds? I was wary of getting an OEM knockoff pump or one that was not a flexfuel pump, so I just typed in the part number and ordered it on Amazon.

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Just because it sprays fuel all over your engine compartment doesn't mean it'll run

Once again, please back away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself...
I actually have an Autometer fuel pressure gauge sender on the fuel rail, but the gauge never worked right and I never put the schrader back on

Last edited by TX Tahoe Z71; 11-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because it sprays fuel all over your engine compartment doesn't mean it'll run

Once again, please back away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself...
Are you really that freaking stupid. The tiny bit of fuel that would spray out would not fill an eye dropper. If the pump wasn't working then nothing would come out because the injectors would have bled off any pressure. If After that you would need to confirm the relay and fuse are good and you have 100% made sure the fuel pump is bad. Per chance the pump was working approximately 3 drops of fuel would have sprayed out of the valve and I would have looked elsewhere. Chances are if fuel made it to the rail the pump is good and you would be looking for other issues.

I will not back away from the keyboard and this man could have known for sure if the pump is bad as he sat on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. Try using your brain and not being fool so often.

Funny thing is just two days ago I did this exact same thing on a ford. Guess what nothing came out of the valve, the relay clicked with the key. I replaced the pump and hot diggity it freaking drove away!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribe, my Flexfuel pump is maxed out also and looking for the same alternative as you, hope everything works out for you
Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
Are you really that freaking stupid. The tiny bit of fuel that would spray out would not fill an eye dropper. If the pump wasn't working then nothing would come out because the injectors would have bled off any pressure. If After that you would need to confirm the relay and fuse are good and you have 100% made sure the fuel pump is bad. Per chance the pump was working approximately 3 drops of fuel would have sprayed out of the valve and I would have looked elsewhere. Chances are if fuel made it to the rail the pump is good and you would be looking for other issues.

I will not back away from the keyboard and this man could have known for sure if the pump is bad as he sat on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. Try using your brain and not being fool so often.

Funny thing is just two days ago I did this exact same thing on a ford. Guess what nothing came out of the valve, the relay clicked with the key. I replaced the pump and hot diggity it freaking drove away!!!!!!
You're a ******* riot....

"Approx 3 drops" sure it couldn't possibly be 4?

I was simply stating that the fuel pump could be moving enough fuel to get your magical 3 drops and the vehicle still not run because it is not making the required pressure... I've seen it more times than I can count. This is not just my tire shop monkey testing like you like to conduct, I was a certified Ford tech for a few years and have since moved on to greener pastures... Flow does not mean there's pressure... Period.

So before you start throwing names around. .. How bout ya do a little light reading on the subject.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

hey TxTahoe, get the Walbro 450 pump and be done with it. It's a tremendous pump and it's honestly quieter than the factory fuel pump. It will fit by a mile in your bucket (you could actually stuff 2 in there no problem).
Old 11-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a ******* riot....

"Approx 3 drops" sure it couldn't possibly be 4?

I was simply stating that the fuel pump could be moving enough fuel to get your magical 3 drops and the vehicle still not run because it is not making the required pressure... I've seen it more times than I can count. This is not just my tire shop monkey testing like you like to conduct, I was a certified Ford tech for a few years and have since moved on to greener pastures... Flow does not mean there's pressure... Period.

So before you start throwing names around. .. How bout ya do a little light reading on the subject.
I didn't say pressure means proper pressure or enough flow. But what I am saying is no pressure means bad pump or issues in the pump getting power. Very easy to confirm or for the most part rule out one of the issues. I know plenty well the pressure doesn't mean proper flow or enough pressure. Are you going to start telling me that just because my battery has 12 volts that doesn't mean it will start the car? But one thing I know for a fact is that no pressure means the fuel pump isn't working.

You implied you would be spewing fuel in a large quantity. I would be willing to guess that the fuel that would spray out would not half fill a pop cap. Honestly not much if any more then 3 drops from a small eye dropper.

Last edited by custm2500; 11-07-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes, just because your battery has 12v doesn't mean it will start the car. Is that what you were looking for?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
hey TxTahoe, get the Walbro 450 pump and be done with it. It's a tremendous pump and it's honestly quieter than the factory fuel pump. It will fit by a mile in your bucket (you could actually stuff 2 in there no problem).
That's probably the route I'll go, just trying to learn how to install the new pump and what I'll need. Haven't found a good write-up for how to hook up the pump in the bucket and wire it up.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
That's probably the route I'll go, just trying to learn how to install the new pump and what I'll need. Haven't found a good write-up for how to hook up the pump in the bucket and wire it up.
I can help you install it.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I can help you install it.
That would be awesome, assuming this isn't a trap

PM sent