PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   THE TRUCK STOP (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/)
-   -   Shooting 700yds has gotten boring (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/shooting-700yds-has-gotten-boring-460609/)

nonnieselman 04-12-2010 09:16 AM

Shooting 700yds has gotten boring

Been out shooting every weekend in hi power rifle matchs, the M1 Garand is just a sweet machine.
the HP match is only 200yds but its fun.
Went out to the farm and stretched it out to 700yds and first shot hit a 20" gong. This thing was made 53yrs ago and shooting ammo made in Greece back in the early 70s. What else could you ask for?

Got the 270 out and did a lil calculation right quick, first hit at 700 was 2" high and 1" left with a slight wind from 10:30.

Goin for 1000 Saturday, If that gets boring we are goin for a sign thats similar to a "Stop Ahead" sign (square thats rotated 90*) at 1200yds.

I never knew shooting long range could be so much fun. :D

SILVERADO11 04-12-2010 09:40 AM

Sounds like lots of fun! really no where around here where i could shoot long range, also i kinda need to step up to something bigger than a Glock 19 (9mm) and a Bushmaster M4A3 (223). someday i will get me a 50!

trever1t 04-12-2010 09:47 AM

only thing that sucks is the walk to get back to the firing position ;)

MikeZQ8SS 04-12-2010 10:02 AM

My girlfriend and I are in indiana right now (from connecticut) visiting a friend whose husband is about to deploy back to either iraq or afghanistaniland. Upon hitting ohio and indiana all I could think was 'holy shit... look how flat it is out here!' There's some spots out this way where its just flat. That's it, just flat. No treeline in the distance, its like being in the middle of the ocean with no land around, except your on land. All I was thinking was I wished I had my .308 remy 700 with the Leupold Mk4 Lr/t. Of course I still wouldn't know anyone out here who would let me shoot on their land lol... but whateva whateva. Back home the longest shot you could make without something in the way is realistically ~300 yds. Out here I couldn't even guesstimate the distances possible. I don't think i'd want to move out here, but a long distance shooting trip would definately be fun!

nonnieselman 04-12-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SILVERADO11 (Post 4438406)
Sounds like lots of fun! really no where around here where i could shoot long range, also i kinda need to step up to something bigger than a Glock 19 (9mm) and a Bushmaster M4A3 (223). someday i will get me a 50!

Next im gonna sling the ole 55gr lead out to 500 with my AR. boy should that be fun.. Wind is gonna be a doosy

Originally Posted by trever1t (Post 4438413)
only thing that sucks is the walk to get back to the firing position ;)

We have a putt putt truck on the farm. its a old mistubushi Montero Sport :D

The hood has the perfect shape to put some sand bags on and lines up just right.

Originally Posted by MikeZQ8SS (Post 4438423)
My girlfriend and I are in indiana right now (from connecticut) visiting a friend whose husband is about to deploy back to either iraq or afghanistaniland. Upon hitting ohio and indiana all I could think was 'holy shit... look how flat it is out here!' There's some spots out this way where its just flat. That's it, just flat. No treeline in the distance, its like being in the middle of the ocean with no land around, except your on land. All I was thinking was I wished I had my .308 remy 700 with the Leupold Mk4 Lr/t. Of course I still wouldn't know anyone out here who would let me shoot on their land lol... but whateva whateva. Back home the longest shot you could make without something in the way is realistically ~300 yds. Out here I couldn't even guesstimate the distances possible. I don't think i'd want to move out here, but a long distance shooting trip would definately be fun!

Ive been in several states that are like that,, judging distance on flat ground is extremely hard.
You can see the trees on my buddys farm tho.

Spoolin 04-12-2010 01:34 PM

How bout some vids Jonathan!

nonnieselman 04-12-2010 01:41 PM

Im building platforms this week so we can shoot from the shade and get some elevation since we are shooting over a crest at the 400yd mark and a small water ditch at 700.Ill set a video up so we can see the vapor trails and stuff. Gotta find a video camera now.

nonnieselman 04-12-2010 01:43 PM

my 20" Target at 600yds and only half of it is visible shooting prone off the ground :bang:
Shooting off the hood of the truck and its perfect till you get past the 1000yd mark and it starts another crest. So at 1100 you cant see the 20" plate.

MikeZQ8SS 04-12-2010 02:34 PM

if you have a spotting scope and a tripod you can set the cam up to look through the scope. I've done this before using an old riflescope. It worked pretty well for what it is... we weren't shooting real distance or at anything cool, we just wanted to see if it would work.

nonnieselman 04-12-2010 02:38 PM

Good idear.. ill give that a try, i have a scope i dont use anymore.