PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   THE TRUCK STOP (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/)
-   -   NEW ELCTRIC vehicle company RIVIAN CC Truck and 7 seat SUV. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/new-elctric-vehicle-company-rivian-cc-truck-7-seat-suv-554229/)

shakenfake 11-11-2021 05:11 PM

fuuuck I had thought it went public in january

adriver 11-11-2021 06:48 PM

I think it will drop quite a bit in the near future, whether its some bad price and scared investors, or it levelling off. For now, on day two, it closed at $122.99. In the long term, I'm thinking even that is a good buy.

adriver 11-22-2021 07:34 PM

Last Wednesday the 17th, Rivian hits its peak high from the initial IPO climb at $175.97. Its now steadily dropped to $118, and with this coming out, I would expect it to keep going a little more.
Ford and Rivian cancel plans to jointly develop an electric vehicle (cnbc.com)
They are still invested in each other. They are not breaking ties, only calling off two Lincoln vehicles they had planned, ("because of covid" ;) ). My guess is this more about Rivian needing to learn to walk / scale up. Its now had its IPO, it has its order waiting on delivery. Now it needs to get its tail in gear, and start producing. Covid probably restricted some ability to accomplish work, they may even be competing for chips because of it, but this looks to me like Ford needs to just get out of their way, and see if Rivian can run with it.

adriver 11-29-2021 03:50 PM

Rivian Automotive Inc (NASDAQ: RIVN) recently started deliveries of its long-anticipated R1T all-electric pickup truck. The company is the first to put into the market an all-electric pickup, which has an EPA estimated range of 314 miles. It can also tow up to 11,000 pounds, but both of these specs can't be achieved simultaneously.

Drive Tesla Canada shares a Rivian R1T owner's test of the truck's towing abilities. Rivian says towing will reduce the range by about 50% on its website, but this tester found the range loss was a bit higher.Towing is one of the most demanding tasks to ask of an electric vehicle. While the powerful torque will help get you going, the added weight and the increased aerodynamic drag will reduce the range significantly. Other factors such as elevation change, speed and weather will also affect range.

In testing, the R1T owners showed that at 37% battery remaining they had just 44 miles of electric range left. That would put their 100% range around 118 miles, or 62% less than EPA rated while not towing. This towing was also done at highway speeds. The testers expected to make a charging stop every 120 miles approximately, so the energy use was within their expectations.

While an abundance of chargers makes the owner's trip manageable, if an EV driver is looking to go far off the grid, they will need to keep their energy use in mind. Hauling extremely large items to the middle of nowhere may not be the best option unless charging is available along the way.

Rivian's First Towing Efficiency Test Shows Big, but Manageable, Losses in Range (msn.com)

arthursc2 11-29-2021 07:15 PM

Realistically, most of my weekends spent towing require a stop every 150-170mi anyway. Check the load, check tires, pee, fuel up, Red Bull- etc

120 on paper sounds like a joke, esp to the "hotshot" guys with 150gal of diesel on board and a bed in the backseat, but for amateur hour car hauler @arthursc2, its about normal

However, I can stop for <10mins and get another 150mi of range, if you're in a hurry towing, using an EV will never get you where you wanna go in a short time

wretched73 11-29-2021 08:32 PM

I think this truck is geared more toward people who will camp in and around the truck. Rather than the Glampers with 11k pound trailers. Why have a pull out cooking site if you have a full camper with a kitchen?

adriver 11-30-2021 01:00 AM

Tents, teardrops, and toy trailers; the 20-30 year old crowd that want to help save the Earth, so they can go out and enjoy it, kinda thing?

I was thinking could it be a work truck during the week, and a weekend adventurer in one.

_zebra 12-02-2021 12:54 AM

yeah... just drove the dodge from SD to central TX & back for t-giving. that certainly wouldn't happen in the timeframe that we just did it in (2600mi over 36-40hrs of seat time).

granted, we made a few pit stops to hike in a couple parks, see some friends, etc, but the drive time regularly ran 400-500mi on a tank @ almost 21mpg average for the trip, and fill-ups took 10min with the bathroom breaks.

_zebra 12-02-2021 12:57 AM

that said, i do own Rivian stock & wish them well ;)

arthursc2 12-02-2021 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by _zebra (Post 5505024)
that said, i do own Rivian stock & wish them well ;)

Traitor :lol: