THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Military ITV growlers and 7 tons for sale soon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Military ITV growlers and 7 tons for sale soon.

Thought someone on here might be interested in this.

The long-awaited release of the Internally Transportable Light Strike Vehicle (ITV) "Growler" and Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement 7 ton (MTVR) to the GovPlanet inventory is almost here. GovPlanet will be your EXCLUSIVE source for a fleet of retired ITV and MTVR inventory. Sign up to be the first to learn about the long awaited release and upcoming auction dates.

https://www.govplanet.com/growlers?s..._hsmi=70148599

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/oh...rpl-1832833513

The U.S. government is currently overstocked with Internally Transportable Light Strike Vehicle (ITV) "Growler" off-road vehicles and Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement 7 ton (MTVR) cargo trucks, and is about to pass the savings on to you!

Uncle Sam started auctioning big batches of surplus Humvees at the end of 2014, and I don't know how many Jalopnik readers actually bought one, but I sure did get a lot of emails from people who were excited about the sales.

Well, if you missed your chance on a Hummer, or if you did buy one and now want to explain your private military motor pool, maybe you want one of these limber-looking Growlers or an enormous cargo truck. Surplus liquidation site GovPlanet made an announcement this week saying both would be available in March, 2019.

An article on Military.com reported that the vehicles were coming from the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps, which apparently no longer needed the things.
Here's the pitch GovPlanet made about the two machines in a press release:
"The M1161 ITV Growler is a 4x4 'jeep-style' vehicle with a 2.8L diesel, 132 horsepower engine. It is approximately 13.5ft long, 5ft wide, and 6ft high. The ITV was developed by the American Growler company in 1999 and entered into service with the U.S. Marine Corps in 2009 as a utility, scout, or fast-attack vehicle."

"The MTVR is a 6x6, seven-ton cargo truck with a Cat C12 diesel, 410 horsepower engine. It is approximately 26ft long, 8ft wide, and 11.5ft high. The MTVR entered into production in 2005 and is still in regular operation with the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps as a prime mover for the M777 Howitzer, as well as: troops, fuel, water, and a wide variety of other equipment."

In other words, the growler is a little buggy and the MTVR is like a modern version of the old "Deuce and a Half."

Oshkosh Defense, which builds the MTVR, claims that this monster can ford five feet of water and traverse a 60 percent gradient. These trucks can be set up for all kinds of cargo carrying or recovery duties, and they look badass regardless of what kind of cargo box you decide to put over the rear axles.

The Growler is more like a cross between a UTV and a Jeep. Or, you could think of it as the military version of the Mahindra Roxor. Military-Today claims it has a payload rating of almost 2,000 pounds, which means the jeeplet has got to be pretty stout. It was designed to be carried by aircraft and dropped wherever. With four-wheel steering and automatic tire inflation, not to mention tight dimensions, I would imagine this plucky little thing could get itself home from just about anywhere.

Obviously, the real baller move here would be to buy an MTVR and a Growler to ride on its back, but I have a feeling getting license plates on either of these is going to be a pain. I have no idea how many of these trucks will be available or what they're going to sell for, but you can track the information down and bid on GovPlanet's website.

Last edited by adriver; 02-24-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

LMTV is where's it's at. That growler looks ridiculous lol
Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

much better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growle...MC_Growler.jpg
leaving each Growler scout variant with a cost of $209,000 per unit

That growler is about the same size as the 80s s10 blazer or old bronco II, but a 1/2 ft more narrow, with a 2,000lb payload. It has a 4,537lb curb weight, and I see rear facing back seats. I'm curious how high you can ford it. I'm sure we have some Navy and Marine members who could share some thoughts on it.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 401 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm right near Jacksonville, I wonder what they will go for? I could use one in my storage yard if they are 4 wheel steering.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

May as well post up that they are for sale now.. So far they are all in Georgia.
https://www.govplanet.com/growlers-inventory

Not sure how the process will play out, but growlers are starting at $5K, and 7 tons starting at $10K. Looks like the auction ends March 20th. Will be seeing what they go for.

I've seen some pretty slick builds with 5 tons adding a travel trailer style on the back, making a serious off-road camper/hunting rig.

Last edited by adriver; 03-09-2019 at 07:35 PM.