THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

I have been thinking about going back to school for my Masters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i only read the first couple posts.
i have a ba in biz and have looked long and hard at a masters. i can get a mba for 20-25k and it just isnt worth the time and money for me.
the way ***** going these days with all the loans and dropping standards at colleges i would get a stronger resume rather than a masters.
school loans never go away, and tuition is inflating at an unreasonable rate.
maybe im jaded but i think all of academia is a giant joke.

to add a little bit of context for my opinion. i work in engineering. as an engineer.
i have hired people, and i rarely look at the degree, i look at experience, and in interviews about 90% of my focus is on interest in the actual work rather than education. i would take someone that gives a **** and doesnt know as much over someone that knows **** and doesnt care as much 150% of the time.

Last edited by TrendSetter; 09-16-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KRedSilverado
Luck probably plays a bigger role in a scenario like your boss's.
luck is the intersection of opportunity and preparation.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:38 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i only read the first couple posts.
i have a ba in biz and have looked long and hard at a masters. i can get a mba for 20-25k and it just isnt worth the time and money for me.
the way ***** going these days with all the loans and dropping standards at colleges i would get a stronger resume rather than a masters.
school loans never go away, and tuition is inflating at an unreasonable rate.
maybe im jaded but i think all of academia is a giant joke.

to add a little bit of context for my opinion. i work in engineering. as an engineer.
i have hired people, and i rarely look at the degree, i look at experience, and in interviews about 90% of my focus is on interest in the actual work rather than education. i would take someone that gives a **** and doesnt know as much over someone that knows **** and doesnt care as much 150% of the time.
You're not jaded at all.......those that think their institutional education is the answer to prepping for life are delusional.

There was a time about 5-6 years ago when I actually sat down with a few colleagues and a dean at the University of Houston to pitch an idea that I developed from experiences once I had been out of college for 5 years. I did a presentation (that I prepared obviously) about how there is a significant need (starting as early as high school) for a curriculum that actually can prepare students for the real world. The bulk of my material focused on personal finance management, but also briefly touched on some generalized "blue collar" skills that would teach people how to deal with and manage their fixed assets (that would include general home/vehicle maintenance for example) and in-person communication skills/strategies that are simply non-existent these days with the advent of email and text messages.

I'm far from a genius but recognize the importance of learning real world skills and retaining that knowledge for future use.

Honestly, the required curriculum that is pushed by educators these days is mostly unused and unrealistic (there are some exceptions thought). The worst part about it.......it is all pushed through and influenced by money (tuition increases) and greedy institutions seeking government funding.

Kids need to learn negotiating skills, personal financial management skills and general knowledge of how to address everyday problems. They then need to learn how to take, accept and admit personal responsibility for their own actions. None of this is really taught in these institutions.

I can tell you my ideas aren't perfect, but the country could be in a much better situation with proper education.

My wife is an elementary school teacher of 13 years now and it blows my mind that the majority of their focus (forced on them by upper management) is getting the kids ready to take state exams. Then when exam scores come in, they use this as a basis to tweak curriculum and teaching strategies. The principle is happy with good scores even if the students are not actually learning what they need to live successful lives. Remember, high state exam scores typically generate positive publicity, which in the eyes of upper level faculty means job security and sometimes increased allotment of government funds and/or justification of rising tuition rates. Just a brief inquiry on the subject clearly shows that college tuition is rising faster than inflation in this country.

Rant over.......and flame on if you wish.

Last edited by Blown06; 09-17-2016 at 01:59 AM.