THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

I have been thinking about going back to school for my Masters

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have been thinking about going back to school for my Masters

Well i am thinking about going back to school for my masters. I was thinking about an MBA in business or MS in Business Analytics. TCU offers some pretty good programs but at the cost of 60-65k it is not cheap.

Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Well i am thinking about going back to school for my masters. I was thinking about an MBA in business or MS in Business Analytics. TCU offers some pretty good programs but at the cost of 60-65k it is not cheap.

Thoughts?
What do you currently do for a living? And what's your bachelors degree in?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Resident Retard

BS in Software Engineering. I design software and manage software development projects. I am thinking about going into management.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:48 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I would see if your current employer would give you a bump in pay with a masters or if it qualifies you for a higher paying job. Don't forget the level of education is so you can get a better paying job...which is anot investment. If the business case for that doesn't make sense then don't bother.

Like spending 40k on a prius to get better gas mileage...40k can buy a lot of gas for the pickup.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:06 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
I would see if your current employer would give you a bump in pay with a masters or if it qualifies you for a higher paying job. Don't forget the level of education is so you can get a better paying job...which is anot investment. If the business case for that doesn't make sense then don't bother.

Like spending 40k on a prius to get better gas mileage...40k can buy a lot of gas for the pickup.
thank you
Old 09-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Ill never knock more education as long as youre doing it to further your career. If youre doing it just to be a snob who says they have their masters; invest that money somewhere else (your daughters education)
Old 09-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Ill never knock more education as long as you're doing it to further your career. If you're doing it just to be a snob who says they have their masters; invest that money somewhere else (your daughter's education)
Couldn't have said it better. Both of these are really good advice!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Resident Retard

It is not for more money. I make enough to be happy. It is to try and open up other opportunities in the future. Having an engineering degree kinda limits me to the engineering/IS&T side if the house.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say go for it, you're setting yourself up for success.

You say you aren't doing it for the money but if it came down to it, having your masters will net you a bigger income in the long run. And it would open many doors into the management and possibly C-level positions.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:44 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
It is not for more money. I make enough to be happy. It is to try and open up other opportunities in the future. Having an engineering degree kinda limits me to the engineering/IS&T side if the house.
Maybe that's why the hookers and prostitutes drop deuces on the bathroom floors around there.

Quick Reply: I have been thinking about going back to school for my Masters