PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   THE TRUCK STOP (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/)
-   -   Gotta vent ... small correction on a 'stall' -- EVERYONE READ (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/gotta-vent-small-correction-stall-everyone-read-362419/)

gonzo 6.2 04-01-2006 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Flyer
It's not a stall. It's a torque converter with a rated stall speed, commonly reffered to as a converter.

I keep seeing someone saying I'm getting a new 'stall' and I just cringe.

Nothing personal meant by this to anyone, just trying to educate the masses. :)

Were you the one that pointed out quite a while back about guys reffering to the Dodge truck as a "hemi" Hemi this and hemi that,you think of the mentallity of the dipshit actors on the "hemi " commercials and you just image how some of hemi owners can really relate to those guys.Well I am now going that way with"vmax" yep got got me a v-max she sure is purdy :buttkick:

Yep gotta get me a stall ;)

Out1aw 04-01-2006 09:12 AM

ill still call it a stall... easier to type and say than converter or torque converter. Also you sound cooler and it gives you +5 hp

trever1t 04-01-2006 09:16 AM

Nd since i got my stall installed i beat an A4 but not an M6 cuz prolly aint too many peeps here gots um. :devil:

budhayes3 04-01-2006 09:29 AM

I like to call it a "verter" just to be snazzy when I'm typing...when I'm talking I call it a torque converter...

If you wanna get really technical, none of us should be calling our engines "motors"....correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the word motor was used to describe an electrical device, and if the powerplant in question is internally combusted, it's an "engine". Nothing wrong with a little slang though as long as one gets the point across.

BigBlockChev572 04-01-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by budhayes3
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the word motor was used to describe an electrical device, and if the powerplant in question is internally combusted, it's an "engine". .

You're correct on that. Flyer, most of us on this site know what we speak of when we say "Stall, Verter', etc." It's just easier. Yet, when we get off of our keyboards and outside, most of us break it down to the correct terminology so we don't confuse the confused. James B., I remember you posting something similar to that on LS1tech. :jest: Specially about the M6, Isn't the real code MN6? ;)

jm's customs 04-01-2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I like to call it a "verter" just to be snazzy when I'm typing...when I'm talking I call it a torque converter...

If you wanna get really technical, none of us should be calling our engines "motors"....correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the word motor was used to describe an electrical device, and if the powerplant in question is internally combusted, it's an "engine". Nothing wrong with a little slang though as long as one gets the point across.

:stupid:

Deckhand 04-01-2006 10:16 AM

kinda like when fbody owners call their car a ls1?

Richard@WCCH 04-01-2006 10:35 AM

While we're on the subject of slang, what ever happened to "3/4 race cam"?
:jest: :jest: :jest:

Stalling out for now........

Richard :)

Flyer 04-01-2006 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by James B.
LOL! I have whined about this very same thing but most people are content with the perptuation of ignorance! There are so many things that irritate me too!

Looking for a new stall? Take your PICK

How about some specs on the M6

Perhaps some information on A4's

When you're out to win, the A4 can mean the difference between SINK or SWIM.

And what about a reminder that this is a bulletin board not some prepubescent IRC chat channel!

Single letter slang is not an acceptible substitute for a word:

"B" is not "be"
"C" is not "see"
"Q" is not "question"
"R" is not "are" or "our"
"U" is not "you"
"Y" is not "why"

Additional letter(s) added does not make it less incorrect:
"ur" is not "your" or "you're"
"qs" or "q's" is not "questions"

Other Abbreviations make no sense:
"b4" is not "before"
"gr8" is not "great"
"str8" is not "straight"
"cuz" is not "because"
"ne" is not "any"
"prolly" is not "probably"
"lil" is not "little"
"congrats" admit that you've forgotten how to spell "congratulations"

Some terms are not real words at all:
"hella" is not a word!

Thank YOU for opening the door for ME to vent!

WHy don't you tell us how you really feel. :)

I do agree with you though. This is somewhere you should show your intellegence.

Flyer 04-01-2006 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by closet red neck
I call it a verter!! LOL!!!!

verter is good ... at least it doens't make you sound ignorant.