PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   THE TRUCK STOP (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/)
-   -   does anyone build model cars? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/truck-stop-133/does-anyone-build-model-cars-503943/)

06sierra5.3 06-27-2012 08:05 PM

does anyone build model cars?

my hobby is model cars. I add a lot of detail to them with phot etched parts and other stuff. It's kind of a nerdy hobby but it relaxes me and gets my mind off stuff. I Was wondering if anyone else was into it seriously. I thought it would be a cheap alternative to RC cars so I started about 4 years ago. Turns out you can spend rediculous amounts of money on the aftermarket stuff. I have a whole room setup in the house now for it.

AndysC3 06-27-2012 08:10 PM

I use to do the models. Even had a airbrush set for painting. I mainly did older style cars. Mustangs, corvettes, novas

Byrdman11 06-27-2012 08:55 PM

I don't do them now, but love doing them year ago and still do.. Man some are plain awesome.

SilverDog 06-27-2012 09:07 PM

I'm in the same boat as the rest. It's been a good 12~10 years. I'd love to get back into it. I find it to be a good winter hobby. I haven't priced a model lately, but for a good "Made in Japan" model it was $50-70. Post some pics.

Area47 06-27-2012 09:10 PM

used to. used to do shows with them as well. one car got me a national champion title. then my cat tried to eat the car.

:(

model stuff is expensive crap now. last one i bought was 100 bucks. painted the body parts. never finished it.

1994Vmax 06-27-2012 09:17 PM

Add me to the list. I went through an old closet the other day and it was like stepping back to when I was 12. I have at least 30-40 unbuilt new in the box AMT and a couple Revell model kits in the boxes. They are all muscle cars ( GM and Chrysler mostly) as well as one or two pickup trucks. Maybe someday I will build them too.... I dunno. It's sad as it's closing in on 20 years since I touched one. I paid like $15 back then........ probably 3 times that now.

I also used to avidly collect the American Muscle series 1:18 scale diecasts. I have a pile of the early 90's relasese, all still brand new in their boxes. I have around 70 of those just collecting dust. Got a bunch of the early ones from an auction of a store liquidating it's stock. Paid like $20 a piece and bought about 8 of them. I am renovating my entire house in the near future and the large open area in my basement will be the theatre. I want to incorporate all my diecasts into that and automotive memorabilia into that.....

03chevyroyce 06-27-2012 09:33 PM

My grandfather passed earlier this year, and one of his hobbies was building ships in bottles. I have been doing research and am wanting to try to build a ship in a bottle. It is interesting how he built them. He would build the boat, with the masts on pivots. After he finished, he would collapse all the rigging, put it in the bottle, then use tweezers to pull the rigging up and tie it. I'll post a picture of one in a moment if anybody is interested.

KozzyJr 06-27-2012 09:50 PM

i use to do it. stopped when i hit over 30 cars. and i ran out of room.

06sierra5.3 06-27-2012 11:00 PM

that's cool, nice to hear others collect them. I'll post some pics later.

One long term project I have is the monogram 1/12 57 Chevy Bel air. I shaved all the bolts off, drilled holes with a pin vise and installed real turned fastners. Some of the bolt heads are .5mm. I have about 50+ hours into the engine only

I'm working on a 1/24 67 che ell as right now, I'll get some pics up soon.

Here's a link to an F40 I'm in the middle of

Tamiya Ferrari F40 Competizione - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

Here's the 57 Chevy. This build is important to me so I'm taking my time.off and on for two years or so now

1/12 57 Chevy Sports Coupe - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

TIM Z 06-28-2012 07:33 AM

Well when i was younger i did build model cars/ trucks, used to love doing it.

I have zero time to do it now, but everytime im at the toy store or wally world i will try to find cool cars/trucks that i will buy and put in my garage. The NBS silverados are getting harder to come by, but are my fav.