THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Dodge Ram 1/2 ton diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
very cool to see this happening... too bad these ideas were all shelved last time around (5 years ago now?)

I'm surprised its only a 3.0 in a half ton though...

For all intensive purposes the ecoboost offers a lot that a diesel does too. High compression (for a gasoline powered engine with factory boost), direct injection... the list goes on. It will be interesting to see how this really performs. 30 MPG sounds great... but its most likely not in the truck we would all like to buy. What does the top EPA rated F150 ecoboost get? I bet its closer to 30 than we think.
Whats an intensive purpose?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

it acts like a diesel in the way it delivers its torque. It is great for towing and offers improved fuel efficiency. It is also built to take abuse much like a diesel is... only time will tell if it was built right.

to me it really seems like the ecoboost has its crosshairs locked onto the halfton diesel idea... going after consumers who were starting to demand another answer.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
If they can be tuned, I may become a dodge owner.
I know the dodge sprinter vans use a 3.0L engine built by Mercedes and those had tuners available for them. Now if this is the same engine I'm not sure, never said in the article. But the new Dodge Cummins are supported by EFI live.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
very cool to see this happening... too bad these ideas were all shelved last time around (5 years ago now?)

I'm surprised its only a 3.0 in a half ton though...

For all intensive purposes the ecoboost offers a lot that a diesel does too. High compression (for a gasoline powered engine with factory boost), direct injection... the list goes on. It will be interesting to see how this really performs. 30 MPG sounds great... but its most likely not in the truck we would all like to buy. What does the top EPA rated F150 ecoboost get? I bet its closer to 30 than we think.
The best rated ecoboost is 22mpg, and theyre EXTREMELY sensitive to load. If youre going into a headwind or have slightly larger tires you lose a lot of mpg. Ive been kicking around the idea of ditching my truck for a ford so I did a ton of reading on the ford forums. The ecoboost is a great engine, and can haul *** with a few simple mods but towing and any additional load kills the mileage on them especially if you get one with higher gears than 3.73s. I would want to put atleast all terrain E load range tires for towing and light offroad and I read where people lost 2-3 mpg just doing that with some losing up to 5 mpg with tires like Ive currently got on my truck.

Tuned and exhaust ecoboost trucks are getting low 20s at best in crew cab 4wd configuration. Its a great little motor, twin 48mm turbos(51mms for 2013), direct injection and some good aftermarket tuning. High 12s with full bolt ons and tune in a crew cab 4wd aint shabby IMO for no internal mods then stil click off high teens/low 20s mpg wise aint bad. For me personally though, for the price theyre going for in good used condition I can put a couple grand more with that and get a 6.7PSD with even more power and better resale. Just all depends on what you want to do. Ill probably end up keeping my current truck though as another vehicle payment doesnt sound like fun.

The thing you have to remember is even with a gas motor being direct injected theyre only about 30% efficient, diesels are int he 40s so a diesel IMO is still the way to go for efficiency.
Originally Posted by Chevy_King1500
I know the dodge sprinter vans use a 3.0L engine built by Mercedes and those had tuners available for them. Now if this is the same engine I'm not sure, never said in the article. But the new Dodge Cummins are supported by EFI live.
I would never own anything first year model thats new like that. Im interested to see what this does with Ford and GM. Might get the baby dmax back on the table. Judging by what GM did with the LML computer, I doubt the baby dmax would be tuneable. Atleast not like we are used to anyway.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.0 is a great engine. They put it in everything in Europe and Australia. I have an 07 Grand Cherokee with one. Stock it was rated at 210 hp and 376 tq. After a tune it makes 240 hp and 440tq. I was averaging 22 mpg in 50/50 city hwy driving when stock. With summer blend gas it gets 26-27 mpg with the same type of driving. This is with 3.73 gears, AWD, 5k + lb SUV. It has a 5 speed trans, but turns 2300 rpm at 65. In an 8 speed tranny it should get 30 mpg hwy easily.

Chrysler owns 50% of VM Motori (diesel manufacturer) and the other 50% is owned by GM. So maybe GM will jump on the bandwagon.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could definitely see one of these being my next truck. IF done right.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for chrysler and from what i have heard it wont be the Mercedes diesel. it will be something fiat has partial ownership of.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
That's great that one of the big 3 is stepping up. But Dodge really isn't the first. GM was putting 6.2 and turbo 6.5 liter diesels in half ton trucks, Blazers, and Suburbans in the 80's and 90's. I've owned a few of them.

I remember getting my hands on an ambulance prom and putting it in a 94 ECSB 6.5 turbo half ton. That truck was fun!
They had the right idea back then but there is a clear reason it didn't last. Both of those were not at all impressive. Yea they added some torque for pulling but they were loud, slow, and not all that reliable if I remember correctly.

The new bread of diesel will fit perfectly into the consumer vehichal. Small, light, almost silent, yet makes huge power. Thus great fuel economy and enought power to pull a semi.

6.2 Blazer is like a diesel Rabbit. Damn big pile of ****! haha
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is for you AK
Page 2 - 10 Worst Cars of All Time - TheStreet
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
What the heck does that have to do with anything?

FWIW, my old 6.2 liter K5 Blazer got 26 mpg, and drove about like the 305 CI Blazers of the day. It was a good rig for me, and looked great too. But there's no sense in comparing the technology of the early 80's to the new diesel stuff.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1/2 ton diesel