Truck of the Quarter Performance Trucks TOTQ Winners (former TOTM winners as well)

GMracer: November 2006 TOTM

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMracer: November 2006 TOTM

This month's TOTM is sponsored by JPA
GMracer...

I was never into cars, sure I liked them but since I was little I always had a passion for trucks. Every time I made it to the store Id pick up the latest Truckin’ magazine. September 2003, page 62, Bullet Proof: An ’01 Silverado Rocket Sled, the black rcsb step side rocking budniks and an ATI procharger. This was my inspiration, my drive to get a Silverado.

Time came when I got my license and well, I ended up with a dodge Dakota, slammed, 4.7liter, all done… it got totaled when I got rear ended in November of 2004. It was a sign that I needed to have that truck.

So the journey went on, months went by looking at rcsb but not one suiting my taste, it HAD to be black and no one had one. Well finally in January I found one and next day it sat in my driveway. I went inside telling myself I didn’t want to mod this one because I took the last one to far. Then I found GMfullsize and LS1tech.com and well, my mind was easily changed.

Within the first year of owning the truck I had changed my grill twice from chrome to black, I bought my 20” American Racing RT-S Lowered it 1.5”/3.5” and only months later decided it wasn’t low enough. I got a Nelson tune, and re-did my exhaust myself. Learning how to weld, and torch was all just a bonus of doing ALL my own work. The only thing I never picked up was painting, but lucky for me I worked right next door to one and became good friends and a steady customer of theirs. I actually told them about smoking tail lights and well lets say I started a BIG trend around my area.

So the second year came and I decided my front end could use some work so I changed it out to all color matched with a Truck Masters valance and well that lasted a short period of time when I decided the SS bumper was so much cleaner looking. So before I sent that in for paint I ordered a custom classic roll pan, CalVu mirrors, and removed my tailgate for shaving. After installing all those and some escalade handles I knew it was time for something on the more evil side.

The heart of my monster… big bad 4.8 took it 100,000miles and 15.5 in the quarter but definitely wasn’t good enough. I picked up a 6.0 out of a 2500 at a local salvage yard and planned to build it up, but college came fast and I knew I didn’t want to run the risk of not having it for four more years, so I ordered the long tubes, off road y-pipe, 44lb injectors, some fluids, miscellaneous parts and grabbed some friends and Saturday by the night it was out and an Sunday morning at 3am it was up and running, neighbors sure didn’t like the sound of open headers. It didn’t take long to blow the tranny, actually it didn’t take anytime, the flywheel was actually the incorrect one, which is to this day a still a mystery. So I took it to a reputable transmission guy, so I could get the 4l60e built to be a reliable, strong tranny. With second gear chirping and pulling a 14 flat in the quarter I felt a little bit better about the whole thing and I don’t plan on stopping at all.

Actually being in college it is hard, but I managed to scrape up some money to get a Detroit Locker Posi, and at the end of this month me and fullthrottledan are going to be installing it.

To top off my mods to this date I got a custom tag “SCHEVY” and since I’ve built my truck myself and paid for absolutely everything on this truck I needed a way to show that, so I stopped by my local vinyl shop and had a SHIF customs sticker cut… to explain the plate my last name is Schiffer and well Chevy so I combined them, and the sticker, well they call me SHIF for short of Schiffer, so I liked the 4letter word thing and added the customs.

My truck sure isn’t done, actually its going to be going through some major changes soon, including removing the 4wd, converting to 5lug, 4link custom rear suspension qa1 coilovers, 20x8.5 Budniks up front and 20x12 in the rear. Along with a two tone paint job, sitting another 2” lower, molded bed, shaved stake pockets, low profile hard Tourneau with color matched lineX, built 370ci with forced induction and so much more down the line.

Show:

• McGaughy’s 2”/4” Drop with de-cranked torsion keys and blocks removed for 3.5”/5.5” Drop
• 20” American Racing Black RT-S wrapped in Falken 275/45 rubber
• Drill and Slotted Zinc Coated Brake Rotors
• Color Matched Tahoe Grill Shell
• Billet Inserts
• Billet Bowtie
• Clear Corners
• Street Scene SS Bumper
• Street Scene CalVu Mirrors
• Escalade Door Handles
• Custom Classic Steel Fabbed Roll pan
• Shaved Tailgate
• Smoked 04 Tail lights
• Tinted Windows 35% Sides, 1% Rear and 5% Eyebrow
• Custom License Plate “SCHEVY”
• Removed Side Molding and all Badges
Interior
• Painted Dash Bezel
• Pioneer Deck
• JL Audio 8” Sub w/ 250/1 Amp
• Red LED Gauge Mod
• Removed the Jumpseat

Go:

• 2002 GM 6.0 364ci LQ4 Swap
• Pacesetter Longtube Headers w/ off-road y-pipe
• K&N Cold Air Intake
• 44lb Injectors
• Dynomax Bullet Dumped
• Nelson Performance 93+ Tune
• LT1 Electric Fans w/ Nelson Harness and Over ride Switch
• Optima Yellow Top Battery
• EGR and Emissions Delete
• A/C Delete
• Detroit Locker Posi 3.73 stock gears
• Locally Built 4l60e Transmission

I plan to have this truck a long time and I take pride in saying I built it, and I paid for it. Not many kids my age can attest to that. Its come along way, but the journey ain’t over.

Last edited by ZR1 DREAMING; 03-03-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMracer

Congrads on the kills
It was an honor to be nominated and compete with such fine trucks.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Teching In

congrats awsome truck
Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats
Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal! Glad to see that you got that rear end done!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:54 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Congrats Nice truck
Old 11-03-2006, 06:07 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PM me your address to collect your bounty! Congrats~

Old 11-03-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man! Bullet Proof is my inspiration too.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats Nick!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Congrats member of the dark side. Awesome ride!

Quick Reply: GMracer: November 2006 TOTM