Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Dark slate grey 2008 GMC Envoy Denali AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dark slate grey 2008 GMC Envoy Denali AWD

I just picked this up tonight. I haven't taken delivery because the dealer is fixing a few things and had to order parts. I have always wanted a TBSS and this is my back door opportunity to have one... Kinda...

This thing is super clean and you could almost eat off the motor...
Any recommendations to pump up the performance a bit? It has 145K on the 5.3 and it runs strong so no worries there.
I'll probably do a poor mans exhaust mod for now with a hi-flow muffler and resonator delete. Just to make it sound a little better. Magnaflows work well on the LS motors.
Any issues with doing a 2/3 drop with the AWD?
Thanks for any insight you guys may have.
Mark
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

If it has rear air ride, doing the drop might be an issue.

Get a tune, shut off the AFM/DoD system as it's problem prone in those early trucks if not replaced with updated parts at some point.
The following users liked this post:
astroracer (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks,
The tune would be done after the exhaust and CAI install. I know a lot of guys use the programmable tuners. Is that a good invest for something like this? This will be my "mostly" daily driver so having some ability to tune for economy AND some spirited driving seems like the way to go.
Mark
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah you'll want to get a real tune, not some hyper tuner or bully dog thingy.

A custom tune with HP Tuners or EFI Live is the only way to go. There is no need to have more than one calibration, anyone that is worth a salt doing this stuff can make it the best it can be all in one calibration.

Don't expect any real MPG gains or power gains from the intake, those are mainly for show. Doing a tune is a great way to make what you have respond quicker and make the transmission shift and feel better.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Teching In

A bit of an update. took the truck to the local muffler shop and had a custom exhaust installed. Big 3" in/3" out muffler with resonator delete and a nice stainless tip. looks and sounds MUCH better but we found three broken manifold bolts. 1 on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side.
Now the conundrum is, do I put the headers on now or just fix the manifold bolts... My Spidey sense says to do the headers and Y and never look back... What do you guys recommend for a decent set of headers? I see a bunch of them on eBay and Amazon. Any issues with the stainless pipes?
Mark
Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I would for sure do the LTs and bolts at the same time. No recommendations, as I don't think TSP makes stuff for your ride.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Teching In

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192509162448
Taking a bit of a leap here. $220 bucks for the whole kit, I had to give it a try. LT's, Y, clamps, gaskets and bolts... I will get them test fit and, if there are no issues , I will send the package out to JetHot for coating. I also picked up a pair of Hi-Flo cats off Amazon. $88 dollars for both. I will have to add the downstream O2 bung though.
I am also looking at this cam from PCM of NC.
PCM of NC Rob Style Jr Cam 217/221, .60x/.560x, @ .050?, 112 LSA ? PCM of NC, Inc.
That with a nice tune and a trans reprogram should make this truck scoot pretty good...
Any thoughts? Any input on cam selection?
Thanks guys
Mark