TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely?

What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely?

Found this on net
https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4um...-capacity.html

they say 11,000LB I think this the combined weight of TB and boat/trailer I’m at 8K LBs.

My friends told me my 3K LB boat/trailer (boat is very tall around 10’ off ground) and the TB isn’t heavy enough to stop safely is this true or false.

Attach image of boat/my tow van (van weights 7100LBs) to be towed minimum of 10 250miles one way so 20 trips on 30% hilly roads 70% flat roads per year.

I only considered tow capacity which is twice the weight of my 3K boat, never thought that 13”front/rear brake rotors to be a weak point.

So is the 4650LB TB to lite to stop safely?

Additionally they say Cops will be pulling me over because TB is so low an boat is so tall and I will have to prove w/ documents (maybe bookmark in owners manual) the TBs tow capacity?

edit: I usually launch at not to steep/or slippery ramps however ramps conditions can change like sand being washed/pressed up
So is the 4650LB TB to lite for sandy/or slippery ramps pulling both TB and boat into water?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails -splash1.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put the load level bags from tbss, and a weight distributing hitch and should be fine.

I think tbss is 7500 lbs btw.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Launching!

I was planning to remove air bags and install conventional Monroe springs and shocks.

1.are you suggesting air bags inside of conventional springs for hieght adjustment?

2.isn't weight distributing hitch for close to maximum loads designed for trailer wag?

I used to tow w/ Astro van it weighted 4850LBs and the then steel (add 300LBs) trailer didn't experience the trailer wag. I like 20% tongue weight (shifting weight forward) for control.

Astro stopped fine and it had smaller front rotors an drum rear however the steel trailer had drum brakes on it's front axel w/ a surge actuator.

3.So is the 4650LB TB to lite to stop safely aluminum trailer used in saltwater doesn't have brakes ?

4.Additionally they say Cops will be pulling me over because TB is so low an boat is so tall and I will have to prove w/ documents (maybe bookmark in owners manual) the TBs tow capacity?
Attached Thumbnails -new-springs.png   -img_20160302_195831.jpg  

Last edited by thebrain; 10-09-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes keep the load leveling bags that will keep *** end level on Thr tb. I would even go a step fuether and add a wireless air compressor to help keep bags inflated.
There are bladder bags that some of us run that have belltech spring conversion, but wouldnt recomend for towing purpose.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Launching!

I should have mentioned the stock air bags have a leak this is why I was planning to remove air bags and install conventional Monroe springs and shocks. then add these if there is alot of sag. both the Astro/1500 express has sag I estitmate tongue weight around 350LBs.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...air-lift-1000/
https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...-why-air-lift/

also the vehicle is actually a Saab97X initially I wrote trailblazer because no one knows what a Saab is.

the Saab97X w/ 5.3 AWD tow rating is 6500LB see attachment, the Saab seams much smaller shorter in height and length than a TB. I may have made a bad choice in tow vehicle. plus the NAV screen and cup holder is broken.
Attached Thumbnails -img_20170921_131932.jpg   -saabcapcity.png   -nav-screen.jpg  

Last edited by thebrain; 10-11-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious why you haven't hitched it up and given it a shot yet?

I'd recommending keeping and repairing or upgrading the air bags system vs conventional spring conversion. I wouldn't like the idea of 350lb of tongue weight combined with whatever gear, coolers, etc you'll be packing without some help in the rear. If possible with your trailer tongue run a weight distribution hitch they are great for stability as well. For a pole-tongue look into a Reese RP58393 or similar.

Last edited by shupe; 10-11-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Launching!

in the process of a DOD delete possible cam upgrade (currently being talked out of cam upgrade).the WS6 store has agreed to take back/exchange preformance cam for OEM hopefully I won't get rapped w/ restock fees.

hope to have her up and hitting on all 8 after GOM fishing season gotta load mine and friends ice boxs before I get time the finish Saab.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Launching!

97x is excellent towing and stopping.maiden test tow 220 miles oneway.

I need to level tongue bar.
Attached Thumbnails -tow-vehicle1.jpg   -tow-vehicle3.jpg   -tow-vehicle-rinseoff-3.jpg  

Search this Thread