TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Upgrading the 2004 work horse

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the 2004 work horse

As it sits, my 2004 3/4 ton engine locked up New Years morning. So, instead of replacing the 6 liter and keep on going, I have to give in to the usual. More power.

Now, the newer trucks are nicer and have more power, but at a cost I refuse to spend. The truck breaking is kind of a blessing since I want more power for pulling and generally beating in the truck when I like.

So, I'll be trying to find a replacement 6 liter. Here is what I have in mind and the only thing I think may be a issue is my cam selection. I'm sure there are better ideas of what to use and I'm open to input.

99-2004 6 liter is what I need.

I have a set of 853s off a LS1, one is ported and I need to finish the other. So these heads ported and maybe milled a bit should help power and torque between the smaller chamber and the ability to flow 280 cfm.

Cam, I am so far thinking a LS6 cam would work great with some valve springs.

A set of full length headers and Y pipe.

And of course a tune.

This should no doubt break 400 FWHP, and if I got lucky and found the info needed, I would like to throw a 2007-2013 intake on the truck. I'm sure a larger TB would be the end of the parts list there.

So. Any ideas for my resurrection of this work horse of mine are welcome. I have also thought about having the stock converter re stalled to help it get into power. We will see how that goes.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

I like the plan other than the LS6 cam. I say step it up to a 212/218 110+4 or something similar. your plan is basically exactly what I wanted to do with my HD before it was stolen. intake/headers, swap the dual exhaust for a single setup, mild cam, bump compression, tune and let her eat. I basically wanted all torque below 4,500 RPM. my truck had no reason to ever go past 5k, even with a spirited freeway pass.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:30 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, the LS6 cam is just along the lines of the cost effective solution beyond the LQ4 cam. And I know it will make power from nill to 6, which sounds great to me.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Following..interested in your exhaust setup that you go with
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do a 206/212 cam

The stock converter is a heavy steaming pile of ****, I wouldn't bother getting it restalled.

The best gains will come from the cam and longtube headers, about 60 rwhp over stock.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Fast_six oh
Following..interested in your exhaust setup that you go with
Right now it has a bullet dumped at the axle and that will still be there but no cats. So it will go from loud to way too loud. That may cause me to go from the 6" to the 12" to tone it back.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I would do a 206/212 cam

The stock converter is a heavy steaming pile of ****, I wouldn't bother getting it restalled.

The best gains will come from the cam and longtube headers, about 60 rwhp over stock.
Money money money. I would rather be building a 402 stroker and the works here. But used is my friend. If I for whatever reason find a converter used that will work, awesome. A new can? Cannot do it. I am fixing this and then swapping engines in my mustang. Gotta stretch these dollars. Lol
Old 04-13-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would keep the cam and engine stock in that case and put some chinese headers on it. That will be the best bang for the buck and keep the powerband that you'll want.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=ZONES89RS;5285733]Right now it has a bullet dumped at the axle and that will still be there but no cats. So it will go from loud to way too loud. That may cause me to go from the 6" to the 12" to tone it back.

Gotya..ive got a 06 crewcab vortecmax with a lq9 6.0..im on the fence on swapping my true duals to a 3" catless y pipe to a single 3" pipe into a si/do muffler..ive been told a single 3" would be better for what im wanting and then again ive been told to keep my duals..there is a thread in dyno section that backs up the single 3" setup though...
Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Sounds right to me. The low end likes the Y pipe in my experience. Top end power is different since it is trying to ditch spent fuel quick, fast and in a hurry.

I cannot keep the stock cam since I want more power in the rpm. Just moving things up a little and modding the stock converter to help it get there.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Sounds right to me. The low end likes the Y pipe in my experience. Top end power is different since it is trying to ditch spent fuel quick, fast and in a hurry.

I cannot keep the stock cam since I want more power in the rpm. Just moving things up a little and modding the stock converter to help it get there.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the 2004 work horse