TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Temporary Face lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Temporary Face lift

Alright guys looking for suggestions, I have an 05 with a 5/7 drop. Just picked up a 25ft PJ Deckover with Monster ramps and I'm trying to figure the easiest way to get my truck on the trailer lol. Looking to find a way to temporarily lift the front long enough to get it on and off the trailer. I know, I know...I should've gotten a car hauler but I need this trailer to haul hay also so unfortunately that wasn't an option. I'd rather not pick the truck up permanently just to get it on the trailer. There's got to be a way. Even thought about maybe taking the truck up the ramps backwards but I still have a breakover point issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used pieces of wood, like 2x4s, in the past to lessen the slope of the ramps to avoid dragging the front bumper.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I presume your new trailer looks like this...

If so, you may not be in that bad of shape. The angles on the ramp and dovetail do not look that steep and break-over from the dovetail to the deck doesn't look that bad either. The spring bar between the ramps and dovetail are the only thing that really concerns me. I can't tell from the pic if it sticks up above the dovetail or not.

This is how I would try to load my truck on the trailer pictured above...
-Raise the rear of the tow truck/tongue of the trailer up to where the fold out ramps lay flush with the ground. This will be the least angle for the ramp not to catch the air dam before the front wheels hit the ramps.
-If the air dam still drags, use some 2x lumber to extend the ramps. If these are going to be permanent aids, incorporate some anchors to catch on the ramps as the rear wheels can shoot them out if your are not careful.
-Raising tongue should also position the dovetail inline or at a slightly higher angle than the ramps thus reducing a catch point with the spring bar there.
-From here just keep an eye on the break-over at the dovetail/deck. Watch the frame at mid point between the wheels and your traction bar front mounting point. If the frame wants to drag, lay some 2x lumber on the deck to provide lift for the front end and remove once past the high center.

I had to use all of the above techniques on my previous 20' equipment trailer with 2' dovetail and 4' ramps after doing coil-overs and flip kit. Tire height made a bid difference on the extra steps I had to take to get it on the trailer. 28" tires were a pita. The 29/30" combo loaded pretty easy.
The following users liked this post:
ironcityboom (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i have this problem with my z06 when ever i put it my car hauler, i take the trailer ramps lay them in place then put 4x4 wood blocks under the back to raise them up, next i have two 2x10 5ft long i lay in the ramps over lap about 8" next i have blocks i put in under the middle of the 2x10's

think you would be better off doing something like this then trying to raise your truck every time you trailer it, also raise the front of the trailer as much as you can when doing this it will help

did this in paint to give you an idea of what im saying

The following users liked this post:
ironcityboom (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

i do a lesser-extent version of that with my car: a couple 3ft 2x8s on the ground under the ends of the trailer ramps that i drive onto before rolling up them.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
i do a lesser-extent version of that with my car:
my setup with shorter planks the front air dam scrapes after a while it looks crappy with the longer planks nothing rubs or scrapes

OP: i seen these never used them tho?

click here ---->>>>   click here ---->>>>
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/trai...tension-ramps/
Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those work great!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Well ended up actually calling the place I bought the trailer from and ordering a different one. Went with a 22ft deck over tilt. I found the race ramps and Im actually going to call them tomorrow about ordering a set. Their 67” XT ramps give a 10.8 approach. With the deck lowered to about a foot off the ground I get a 10 degree approach angle and the ramp should cover the height. I have a about 7” of clearance up front after taking the lower splitter off. My concern with the old trailer and break over point was the frame on my truck right behind the front tires only has about 2” of clearance. I would’ve had to drag the frame over that point until the trans crossmember hit and most likely wouldn’t have gone any further. Hopefully this tilt makes things a lot easier. It’s supposed to start being built Monday and be done around the end of the month I’ll post some pics then. This is the same thing I ordered just had a few extra things this one doesn’t have.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Launching!