TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

First time towing long distance

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

The highways at night here are amazing! well besides the sections of road work but still way better then anything Rapid shity had to offer.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont think your transfer case lost fluid..my guess would be from towing in overdrive the converter was getting hot..once transmission gets real hot it will blow fluid threw the vent tube
Old 11-14-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Its a 5 speed nv3500 so no converter. The T case was low when I checked it and then took 2.5 Qts. I am going to change trans fluid tomorrow and see if it was low or not but I dont think it will be.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Changed trans fluid today there was plenty of it and it didnt smell burnt or anything. It had redline 5w30 in it from when I changed it a year or so ago. I just put synchromesh in it and Ill take it for a drive tomorrow to see if it sounds or feels any better.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Been awhile since an update was on vacation down in Florida. Ended up driving my Mazda CX5 to Florida to save money on gas. My buddy in Dallas flew to Florida to pick up his 93RX7 FD and follow me back to Dallas incase he needed support. His car almost made it to Shereve port LA when his secondary turbo gave out.

We ended up leaving the car at a gas station driving all the way back to Dallas to get my truck and a Uhaul trailer. Went got the car and turned back for dallas. It was a long trip but the truck towed the little RX7 great held about 70-75 the entire way. Never had any over heating problem or anything. Got 14mpg which is about my around town average.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 AM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

good deal!
Old 11-13-2019, 08:41 PM
makes children cry

ever get any resolution on your trans issue?
just had my first towing problem since the clutch line: 6700lb trailer up & down the mountains between Tucson & North Juarez with a 20-30mph headwind, and since i was flying the next afternoon, getting home at 6am wouldn't cut it... so i was doing 70-75 back to Abilene (unless i ran out of torque & dropped to around 55-60).
clutch was fine the whole way... but from about Midland on, i started getting a metallic rubbing sound in all gears except 4th. was louder yesterday driving to work.

i really hope i didn't just trash my new trans (2.5yr/29kmi). if i did, i'll need some details on the 4500 swap... and maybe some whiskey therapy for playing it too safe by not attempting a custom trans swap a month before PCSing last time.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _zebra
ever get any resolution on your trans issue?
just had my first towing problem since the clutch line: 6700lb trailer up & down the mountains between Tucson & North Juarez with a 20-30mph headwind, and since i was flying the next afternoon, getting home at 6am wouldn't cut it... so i was doing 70-75 back to Abilene (unless i ran out of torque & dropped to around 55-60).
clutch was fine the whole way... but from about Midland on, i started getting a metallic rubbing sound in all gears except 4th. was louder yesterday driving to work.

i really hope i didn't just trash my new trans (2.5yr/29kmi). if i did, i'll need some details on the 4500 swap... and maybe some whiskey therapy for playing it too safe by not attempting a custom trans swap a month before PCSing last time.
This event was the catalyst for my NV4500 swap. I tried changing the fluid in the NV3500 but it was still so uncomfortably noisy after I over heated it during the move it got yanked out for the NV4500.

The noise my nv3500 made was similar to taking a metal coffee can full of marbles and swirling it around. Now when I tow anything I consider heavy 6k+ I leave it in 4th. Helps keep the little 4.8 out of boost as well.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:24 PM
makes children cry

and i didn't know anybody else remembered metal coffee cans... but that's about the sound of it. goes up & down with RPM.
so i called Smith's this morning... they didn't help much other than saying how much the labor was & that you'd provided all the parts.

was it really a plug-and-play swap with a 6.0 flywheel/clutch/slave & the trans (with rewiring the reverse switch... and what needs done there?)? did you do the HD T-case, did it mate right to your stock unit, or did you have to t-case input shafts? And both stock driveshafts fit right on? I do know the crossmember works, and saw that the nv3500 shifters MIGHT work depending on the year/design of the nv4500.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _zebra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1op3ZoNeflc

and i didn't know anybody else remembered metal coffee cans... but that's about the sound of it. goes up & down with RPM.
so i called Smith's this morning... they didn't help much other than saying how much the labor was & that you'd provided all the parts.

was it really a plug-and-play swap with a 6.0 flywheel/clutch/slave & the trans (with rewiring the reverse switch... and what needs done there?)? did you do the HD T-case, did it mate right to your stock unit, or did you have to t-case input shafts? And both stock driveshafts fit right on? I do know the crossmember works, and saw that the nv3500 shifters MIGHT work depending on the year/design of the nv4500.
I called Midwest transmission and told them what I wanted to do. They put a package of all the correct parts together. I wish I remembered what the exact cost was I'm pretty sure it was less than 2k including the core charge which I ate.

The clutch, and pressure plate are OEM from a 2005 2500 with a 6.0 and nv4500. The slave is a factory replacement for a 2005 RCSB with an nv3500. The T case is the exact same one that was factory no change to shafts whatsoever. The cross member is the same as well. The reverse switch would not fit the NV4500 so Smith's said "they ordered an NV4500 switch and it was plug and play". And finally yes the drive shafts are stock and I've had no issues with them.

Only issue I had to resolve after the swap was the Y pipe hit the trans so I had to have it modified.

If you want any pictures or anything let me know I just pulled the bed off and washed it up.

Quick Reply: First time towing long distance