PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/towing-offroad-performance-168/)
-   -   Any pullers? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/towing-offroad-performance-168/any-pullers-527283/)

bowtiewrencher 03-06-2014 09:42 PM

Any pullers?

I am looking for any input and advise from anyone that does any sled pulling. I am the wrench behind a truck my friend has. We have done decent with a few mods it has. But the trans is coming out to be freshened and we are thinking about converters.2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.o liter extended cab short bed 4X4. Here's the mods thus far: Long tube headers, cat delete with no rear o2s. cold air intake, JET throttle body spacer, full 3 inch exhaust dualled all the way back with Thrush puppies and turn downs, tuned by myself with HP Tuners. Truck pulls really hard. Have kicked around throwing a set of 243 heads on it but looking at funds. So any input would be great. Daily driven truck. Thanks in advance!!

GRRR65GTO 03-07-2014 02:45 PM

Ive never seen any sled pullers on here but you find out how to make horsepower for sure.

Youve got like all the right bolt ons and the next step is like you said 243s and/or a cam. Cams wake up 6.0s so much and its definetly worth doing one if you pull the heads off. Before I decided to go turbo my plan was to do what you got, longtubes, 243s, tune, CAI ect. but a cam too

As for recommendations Im no expert there, I was going to go with something between 220 and 230 for the duration cause my truck's a daily driver aswell but thats as far as I got. I was looking at texas speed cams before they have quite a few in that range

custm2500 03-08-2014 02:04 PM

A 2800 stall would be help a lot. You will want to make sure you have a large cooler and fan on it since you will be building lots of heat and no air flow. Honestly I would hope and expect you have the cooler and fan already.

A small cam will help a lot something more in the 212 duration.

Both will make the daily drive and pulling improve tremendously.

I hope you have the tie rods sleaved also.

bowtiewrencher 03-08-2014 11:22 PM

Ah yes. Tie rod sleeves are installed. I am looking at the Hughes 2500 stall converter and the Derale trans pan. Both will help with cooling. Bigger trans cooler is installed as well. We are going with the Transgo HD2 kit and a TCI pro super rebuild kit. 243s may happen this year if I can procure a set for the right price. Thanks for all the input. I greatly appreciate it. I can't wait to show the guy the parts list. :cool: He is pretty stoked. And again, all input is welcome. And appreciated. I am new to the pulling world. I am a drag racer at heart. But the pulling stuff is pretty cool. No one seems to be doing it with FI trucks. But I am here to tell you, the will do it!!! I am trying to get some videos up from some early pulls we did. One he pulled like 250 feet with a weak converter. Cheers!!

slammedsilvy 03-09-2014 12:08 AM

Could drill and tap that throttle body spacer for some nitrous jets, otherwise it's not doing anything. With what was listed, a cam would really wake that truck up.

custm2500 03-09-2014 08:57 AM

I was going to say something about that, but I wonder if while very minimal since torque is the name of the game it would help in that aspect.

We all know longer runners typically produce more torque. I doubt you could measure the amount gained by a 3/4" spacer but it should make maybe 1 more pound foot of torque.

As for FI I know my buddy who used to competativly mud bog you weren't allowed to be super charged and I am not sure if turbo charged was not allowed or just 5 years ago the technology wasn't solid enough to try it. Nitrous was the only power adder allowed.

GRRR65GTO 03-09-2014 11:55 AM

Yeah actually nitrous is dirty cheap power, I dont know much about it but Ive read thats the cheapest way to make power and you dont even need to use it for 30 seconds so itd work good for you. Unless its not allowed

Isak81 03-09-2014 01:53 PM

I would talk to Chris at Circle D or Yank about a converter. I know Chris can build a converter to match your setup.

GREENSIERRA 03-09-2014 06:32 PM

everyone looks at nitrous hp numbers but in reality you gain way more tq then hp with spray and that's what you would want
I wouldn't go to big on the cam but I would get as much compression as you can

12secss e.mack 03-10-2014 04:35 PM

I'm a .....tractor puller I have 2 john deer 6030 pro stock smokers with 619 ci motors and 5inch turbo ,only takes 10 sec for a full pull lots of fun .