TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

How difficult to learn how to TIG weld?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How difficult to learn how to TIG weld?

I have always wanted to learn how to TIG weld and i am looking at picking up a machine next month. I would like to learn how to weld stainless. I have a few projects in mind that i want todo. The thickness is 16-18 gauge 304 stainless. I can MIG weld decently, i just need to practice some to get better. Just wonder how difficult it is to pick up.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Im on my phone so i cant see who posted the thread...but my answer was going to be, you just need to be mechanically inclined. Clicked and saw your screen name...i think youre gonna be just fine. Lol
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks man, yeah i have been watching some Youtube vids and reading alot on it... It seems it is just going to take some practice..
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm learning as well to tig at work it takes practice and paitence just like arc and mig welding
Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not hard I had it in welding class and my teacher made us learn without the pedal which made u good and get Ur amps right lol but if u need any pointers I know I can help u and Tim z is a good welded too he's can help too. From what I seen u do so far city u got it in the bag!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys at work make it look easy lol. I do all of the hard work for them!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

LOL not hard at all its just time and practice. I would start with some steel first just because its cheaper to practice on.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up just buying my tig welder before I ever layed a single tig weld. I figured it out fairly quickly (I am not the best, but I can do pretty good). I would suggest to learn from someone that is a good welder. Let them set everything up, and have them explain what they are doing while they are doing it. The key for me is, you need to have patients, and be in a comfortable position.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks George im no expert LOL!!

Dont worry about anything youve seen or read, just clear your mind, and try to strike up an arc on a piece of practice material.

Then try to " watch" your puddle of metal you are creating, try weaving it back and forth to make "stringers" or beads.

Then try to take two pieces of metal and fuse them together.

The tightness of the gap you have dictates wether you will need filler rod or not,

On your first pass with a tight gap you can ' fuse' the the metals together, but it will kinda sink down, so then you might have to walk back over it a second time with filler rod to make it level. Make sense? kinda hard to for me to type to explain LOL.

There are also different types of filler metals, there are carbon filler wire and stainless 316 filler for each respective metal.

Also there are different sizes of tungsten you can get also, you will prob want 2% thoriated 3/32 tungsten for the smaller welds, and 1/8'' for the bigger stuff.

You need a grinder to keep your tungsten sharp, dull tungsten will ball up the metal your trying to fuse or lay down, sharp tungsten keeps your heat/welds more precise.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am AWS certified...BUT am not a guru..I often Mig/Tig s/s and alum at work. IMO the key to making learning Tig easier is get a machine with a pedal,so you can adjust how much heat you are giving the metal to create your "puddle". I do not weave my TIG welds back and forth, But sometimes I "walk my cup" to cheat a bit.The hardest is learning to feed your filler with one hand in a smooth motion to feed the puddle while moving your tungsten torch with it. Also, afa tungsten goes, When sharpening make sure your grinding long ways to direct the electricity towards the tip smoothly.If you are welding Alum, you are going to want to have a "balled or blunt" tip, Not Sharp. This is done by arcing it on a ferrous metal while set up for Alum.

And imo, in order to "fuse" two thinner metals together you are going to need alot of practice...There is no filler for holes/too much heat..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How difficult to learn how to TIG weld?