TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Chinese Tech 2s

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I had one for a while. They can do most diagnostic stuff but you can not program in new options without going through the GM's TIS for programing. This requires a separate account with a subscription that you need to pay for. at the time, I did not get a unit that had the flashing software which is limited to 2007 and some 2008 models.

As far as the tool itself the keypad is stiffer than the original GM unit along with some other minor differences and since the software is cloned some of the options occasionally don't work correctly.

Gm made some specific changes a few years back and that's why they are knocking these off. Some of the newer software Through GM will not work with the clones because they're not capable of supporting it.

It's Ironic that these and other factory tools are being knocked off but not the Snap On units which are also partially produced over there and assembled here.

Unfortunately the Tech 2 is basically obsolete at this point as the have Tech to win emulation software that runs on the New GDS 2 platforum for the MDI. It pretty much supports everything from 1996 to present.

For the average or basic user EFI live or HPT will do most everything you need it to. If you really feel you need the options to communicate with other modules for diagnostic purposes then you should consider stepping up to something more advanced. Don't limit yourself to a factory only tool if you're going to spend that type of money.
Good info here! I was just wondering if the person that started the thread bought it and i wanted his opinion.. but after what you said i think ill just go for hpt.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Curious if anyone here has one of these and if they work on trucks,

the adds i see say cars only,

Neal
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Get one from Alibaba....

Originally Posted by legerwn
Curious if anyone here has one of these and if they work on trucks,

the adds i see say cars only,

Neal
I was weary of buying one of these, and for good reason. I think in the early days they had QC issues that caused problems with usage. This seems to have been rectified and their quality control appears to have gone up.

However, I recently found a deal on alibaba that I felt was too good to pass up. for $254 I got the Tech2, the CANDII Module, cords, TIS2000 and a bunch of other goodies shipped to me.

I received the unit about 7-8 days after ordering (selected FedEx Shipping, included in price).

So far I have used it on the following vehicles without a single issue:

2000 GMC Sonoma 2.2L
2003 Chevy Silverado 4.8L/4L60e
2005 Corvette Base Model with 6.0L & Auto Trans <---- Requires Candii Module
2005 Caddy CTS-V w/ 5.7L 6 Speed Manual
2006-2007'ish TrailBlazer SS w/6.0L/Auto

As far as automotive related purchases go, it has been one of my best scores ever ! I have had ZERO issues and am very thankful I have it. It has helped me troubleshoot significantly past what I could previously.

The biggest difference I see, is the fact that each specific vehicle has varying levels of the data provided. It is on a platform to platform basis. Some vehicles just have a larger data stream to tap into.

Still a worthwhile purchase IMO. Again, I'd suggest getting a new one, not an unknown used one unless you can ops check it first.
The following users liked this post:
legerwn (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Tydriver, appreciate the feedback

can you post a link or message it to me the seller and add that you used to purchase yours,

not familiar with alibaba, is that a bidding site?

thanks Neal
Old 02-13-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alibaba is the largest site for fake merchandise on the planet.
legerwn (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tydriver, appreciate the feedback

can you post a link or message it to me the seller and add that you used to purchase yours,

not familiar with alibaba, is that a bidding site?

thanks Neal

Neal, I am posting up the general page that I bought mine from. I will caution you that you need to ensure the TECH2 you are buying is loaded with the correct software. I'm no expert but I've been told the ones loaded with SAAB don't work for mainstream US.. Not sure if that's legit, but get one that has domestic vehicles.

Aliexpress is who I ordered it from, sorry, I said Alibaba in my previous post..

Aliexpress is a Chinese company, the unit you are ordering will come from China and you will be charged by a Chinese company. The communications I received had broken English in them, clearly a Chinese person sending them. Nonetheless, there was frequent communication and even a tracking# provided by them (without me even asking).

Overall the transaction went well and I was delighted when the unit I received worked well. If you chose to order, I hope your transaction is as delightful.

Here's the link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/che...ch-2-tool.html

********Edit********** I just tried to launch the link from work and our IT department blocks it (even though I got there through GOOGLE).. Anyhow, do a google search for Aliexpress and GM Tech2 and it should land you there.

Last edited by Tydriver; 02-13-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: link update
legerwn (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Todd,

I have ordered from Aliexpress before with good luck,

I've sent a few messages to a couple different sellers, awaiting a reply

I'm looking for 3 units, some of my main requirements are warranty, GM truck coverage and that the seller has been in business for a few years.

I want the TIS2000 capability also, I read on one of the forms that the unlock key was included with the software and all you need to do is load it to a memory stick but I've only read that in one post so I'm not sure if I need to get the dongle with the unit. I'll have to ask that question.

Adding a case seems rather expensive at around an extra $100,

Neal
Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like to me that you are trying to equip a shop or something along that line.. I understand the need in your scenario to have warranty and a case. My usage is strictly hobby level so it isn't as critical to me.

I think they are smoking crack for the case to be $100.. When I bought mine I think they were around $50 so they must not have figured out a way to copy that (yet), so I too opted to pass on the case. I went with a cheapie generic from Harbor Freight.

Good luck man, I wish I knew more about the TIS2000 process, I haven't messed with it much and I haven't really found any slam dunk websites nor do I have a connection at the dealer so I'm hoping by the time I need to update it, there will be more information out there.

Good Luck !

Thanks Todd,

I have ordered from Aliexpress before with good luck,

I've sent a few messages to a couple different sellers, awaiting a reply

I'm looking for 3 units, some of my main requirements are warranty, GM truck coverage and that the seller has been in business for a few years.

I want the TIS2000 capability also, I read on one of the forms that the unlock key was included with the software and all you need to do is load it to a memory stick but I've only read that in one post so I'm not sure if I need to get the dongle with the unit. I'll have to ask that question.

Adding a case seems rather expensive at around an extra $100,

Neal
legerwn (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are opening a shop you should not bother with Chinese junk. Cheap reproductions are not going to have a warranty. Would you expect a fake Rolex to have a warranty. . . .
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

No shop, I have a couple buddy's that I owe and they have in the past talked about these so I thought I would pick them up one also. If I purchase 3 the price drops pretty good along with the shipping costs.

We are DIY/hobby guys that like to do our own work.

I stumbled across a site/business that sells the complete tool along with the case for a good price , 1 year warranty along with servicing and tech support. I sent them a couple questions to see how they respond to get an idea of their customer support.

Thanks Neal

Quick Reply: Chinese Tech 2s