Texas We've Seceded from the Union

New to DFW, and the forum, looking for some cam install assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to DFW, and the forum, looking for some cam install assistance!

Hey everyone,

I moved to DFW on a temporary relocation for work back in August. Originally from the sticks in Maine, and just picked up an '03 ECSB Silverado with the LM7 5.3 with 110k miles (Everything is rust free down here!!!). Added a CAI, 3" exhaust, and just received the corvette servo as well as a stage 2 low lift truck cam with springs. No headers yet. Moving back to Maine the first week of April, and performance shops aren't overly abundant in the Northeast.

I'm new-ish to the area and brand new to the forum. Moving on, I've got a couple questions.

Without breaking any rules and following the guidelines:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/user-supp...ng-policy.html

My temp relocation has me living in an apartment complex in Irving, TX. I worked at a motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile dealership for 6-7 years as a mechanic, and now I'm a project manager for site/civil construction. I graduated last spring from Maine Maritime Academy in Power Engineering. I'm also a weekend warrior in the Army NG as a 12B Combat Engineer. Built a 106CI stroker for my Victory Vegas, and do a lot of small engine stuff on my dirt bikes, been riding a bit at the local DFW tracks. I'm an avid hunter as well.

I prefer doing work myself, but I do not have a shop or work space (I got a lot of grief for installing the CAI in the parking garage), and I only have my 155PC Blue-Point set and Milwaukee impact down here. I've searched/shopped around and received quotes to do the cam swap, spring install, and servo install. I understand labor is labor and the cost is the cost, no problem with that. However, I don't really want to spend that $$$ when I know I can do it myself (minus the tuning). I do have a shop picked out for tuning.

Hoping that someone out there would be willing to help me do the work! I don't expect any free handouts or anything of the sort, but just some assistance and guidance. Never worked on an LS before, but have some minimal SBC experience.

If anyone has some space and time available, I can provide beer, pizza, and a few bucks as well. If someone's interested I'm totally open to grabbing a beer first and hanging out. I know working with and trusting strangers can be a big deal.

Thanks in advance, and if I've violated any rules/guidelines please let me know so I can fix it.

Gage.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i have never done one but i live in fort worth and would be willing to let you use my garage and i have some tools not a whole lot but i do have the space and would be willing to help do it,
The following 2 users liked this post by cooperthetrooper:
akcooper9 (03-05-2019), gagehawkes (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up talking myself into dropping the truck off with Jason at Anything Automotive in Denton. James Karger tuned it. Extremely reasonable prices there, and very quick turn around time. Very happy with the results and their customer service.

@cooperthetrooper I appreciate you offering your shop up!! If time would have allowed it I would've reached out to meet up, but I'm moving on to a new project and relocating to a new area in the coming weeks.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

no problems man just trying to help out, glad you were able to get it done