TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

Port and polish cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port and polish cylinder heads

Hey guy's, I've tried searching the forum looking for anything related to cylinder head porting. But all that comes up is ppl with ported and polished heads that have been purchased for a build. Can't find anything on members porting and polishing their heads. Anyone know of any? I might just have to do my own write up. I have a spare set of 317's I am looking to mess around with..... I've never ported and polished cylinder heads before, so it could be a fabulous or a couple of F-Bombs. Hahaha So let me know! Thanks.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You will benifit the most just by cleaning up the bowl area and a nice 5 angle valve job.

RT
Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ls heads benefit the most from cleaning just inside the valve seat and opening up around the valve guides and bowls. if you use the summit kit, youre wasting your time. polishing isnt accomplishing anything, you need to move some real metal.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks for the heads up, I'm going to attempt a write up. I'm going to start buying the burrs and the sanding rolls. Know of any good quality burr kits?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Tons of info out there.... Some good some bad...

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...orting-519880/

alright you DIY port guys, come on in - LS1TECH
Old 03-13-2017, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use sgs burrs

i did a short walkthrough when i ported my evo head and nobody gave a crap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6.0 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Bought my burrs off eBay 8 years ago...ferrous and non-ferrous bits have been just fine. Buy a gallon of WD-40 and the plastic spray bottle to keep the bit cool.

10MM Ball Nosed THK Tungsten Carbide ALUMINUM CUT Bit Burr 6MM Shank (150MM-F10) | eBay
Turbo6.0 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can very easily ruin a set of heads not knowing what you are doing when porting.
There is ALOT more to porting a head then just removing material here and there all ***** nilly like.
Turbo6.0 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:58 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've always wanted to give P&P a go, just seems interesting. Plus I like working with metal.
Is there more blending involved than removing material with LS heads?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Theres more to porting heads than just removing material. the idea is to reshape the port for maximum efficiency. This is not nearly as easy as it might seem. its a mix between visually determining port shape and feeling it, since shiny aluminum is hard to see complex subtle shapes.
on ls heads, you can do a lot in the bowls, and raise the roof some. i take out that swirl hump but you cant go too far or you will find water. the other size of the valve guide can be opened up deeper. moving some out of the sides helps also. i like to focus on the roof and the walls and i generally leave the floor mostly alone.
the runner roof i remove a decent amount of metal from for the whole length. I routinely break into the rocker arm mount hole. some material gets removed from the straight wall. i like to open up the pinch point where the pushrod goes as much as i can (be careful here). 'gasket match' isnt really something i value much on these heads. be careful with the short side, they are very sensitive to subtle reshaping. try to just smooth it out, i dont recommend trying to reshape it unless you really really know what youre doing. you can kill the flow of a head by messing up the short side faster than anything.

just remember trying to describe porting heads with text is no different than me explaining how to do a nice hair cut verbally.
TFA303 (01-14-2021)