PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/technical-write-ups-201/)
-   -   Diy oil cap breather (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/technical-write-ups-201/diy-oil-cap-breather-482567/)

beingblueeyes 05-14-2011 08:33 PM

Diy oil cap breather

12 Attachment(s)
This is a basic how-to on making a oil cap breather, so before I begin just a word of warning
*I am not responsible for anything thing that happens to your motor as a result of building this or any injury’s acquired when building this

Now that that’s out of the way let’s begin. There are company’s out there that make a oil cap breather for lsx engines but charge $40+ for them. You yes YOU can built one for sub 15$ if you have some tools at your disposal and about 15 min of your time
Parts needed:
all parts from Summit racing
MRG-6375 VC BREATHER GROMMET CLOSED $2.25
SUM-G3417 BREATHER PUSHIN COTTON/GAUZE $10.95

Tools needed:
Drill press or drill
1” wood hole bit
Something to enlarge a plastic hole (1 ¼ drill bit would speed up making this by 10 min)

Tools is used:
Attachment 143655
Attachment 143657

1: take the oil cap you want to make a breather out of and using the 1 inch wood hole bit drill throw the oil cap using the inside to center the bit
Attachment 143659
2: from the top side of the oil cap start to enlarging the hole for the grommet until it is 1 1/4 inches across (this doesn’t need to be exact but the closer the better, take your time doing this and test fit the grommet and breather periodically
Attachment 143661
3: after you enlarge the hole in the top of the oil fill cap so you can insert the grommet and then the breather cut a hole in the bottom of the grommet.
Attachment 143663
Attachment 143665
4: clean the oil cap and make sure you have all the plastic shavings out of it
5: assemble and enjoy the money you just saved by putting it in your “next upgrade” fund

here it is installed on the truck
[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t/DSC01506.jpg[/IMG]

any questions please ask

_zebra 05-14-2011 08:59 PM

nice, but the $40 ones have a one-way valve to keep oil from accidentally coming back up. any ideas for incorporating this? and also, do they carry smaller filters that would fit? i've got limited space under the hood of my vette - the one that's gonna need this soon with the Maggie on the way

beingblueeyes 05-14-2011 09:33 PM

im sure you could fit a smaller filter using the same principles as this with a different sized bushing and filter, most off the "push in" style breathers i have seen are not just hallow metal nipples the have a peace of metal on the inside floor of the filter that's angled to help prevent oil splash up into the filter

arnezg 07-15-2011 08:32 AM

I'm a little wet behing the ears when it comes to this stuffy so excuse my ignorance for asking what the benefits of the breather are?

swift700 07-15-2011 09:15 AM

A breather like this relieves crankcase pressure caused by piston ring blowby. It can help keep the seals from blowing out on your engine or just keep them from leaking. The crankcase breather hose and PCV also help with this problem but on a performance engine you might need more than what the stock breathers offer. A catchcan is another option.

TXsilverado 07-15-2011 09:54 AM

breather pulls in air, pcv relievs pressure. passenger side valve cover pulls in fresh air. i dont really see a problem with getting the air from the throttle body unless you are puking oil into it.

herrys 10-14-2011 07:41 AM

I have used vent breathers on my past and present vehicles with no problems. Even my grocery getters. The intake and combustion chambers will stay clean for far longer than without the breathers.

MHSLOT12 01-10-2012 12:15 PM

the cap will fit right on the valve cover with out the extenion tube !! if not enough room is a problem

RST302 02-04-2012 01:23 PM

Has anyone else noticed the check engine light come on after doing to install, besides me.

262_NBS 02-06-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RST302 (Post 4861036)
Has anyone else noticed the check engine light come on after doing to install, besides me.

Probably due to the vacuum leak caused by opening up a closed pcv system?