TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

DIY 99-02 Efan Swap Tech Info

Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default working on 156 os now

downloaded 156 os from the hp tuners repository. copying tables over now. before i save and eat 2 credits- anything else i should know?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Default efan swap progress

update:
fired up the truck last night to build heat in the cooling system and bleed it. efans fans came on immediately as everyone said they would with the original 2000 OS. with the fans on i felt itwasn't warming up fast enough so shut it down and loaded 2002 156 OS. (i had copied my tune info into the new OS the previous day)

1st issue: truck won't start
solution: tried relinking vats- still no start. disabled vats- start (any tips here? i'd like to have vats enabled)

2nd issue: battery light was blinking -very annoying
solution: disable pid 1638

3rd issue: fans wouldn't turn on with new os.
solution: cold outside and truck just wasn't getting hot enough. coolant temp got up to 199 it was 40 in the garage last night.... fans are set to turn on at 225 (is that temp setting too high?)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by randybill
update:
fired up the truck last night to build heat in the cooling system and bleed it. efans fans came on immediately as everyone said they would with the original 2000 OS. with the fans on i felt itwasn't warming up fast enough so shut it down and loaded 2002 156 OS. (i had copied my tune info into the new OS the previous day)

1st issue: truck won't start
solution: tried relinking vats- still no start. disabled vats- start (any tips here? i'd like to have vats enabled)

2nd issue: battery light was blinking -very annoying
solution: disable pid 1638

3rd issue: fans wouldn't turn on with new os.
solution: cold outside and truck just wasn't getting hot enough. coolant temp got up to 199 it was 40 in the garage last night.... fans are set to turn on at 225 (is that temp setting too high?)
Disabling code 1638 Is the wrong way to fix the issue. If you read what I posted in Post 1, 20, 23, 25, 27. I have explained How to fix the charging issue the correct way so you don't get a false check engine light.

"Aside from enabling the E-fan settings, and AC settings. You need to change a few things in the OS to avoid a false check engine light.

The 99-00 only use the L terminal for charging. You must disable the F terminal in the Vehicle Platform settings. You also need to change the corresponding DTC and Mil settings for that so they match and you don't get a false check engine light.

You may also need to reprogram your original VIN after flashing in the newer OS. Just a Fair warning, some Vehicle inspection process and Smog inspections are required to read the Vin from your PCM as part of the OBD2 testing to make sure it matches the Vehicle being inspected. "

If the Vin does not match, you can't re-link the vats.

Yes, 225 is fine. The lower you set them , the more they will run.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Disabling code 1638 Is the wrong way to fix the issue. If you read what I posted in Post 1, 20, 23, 25, 27. I have explained How to fix the charging issue the correct way so you don't get a false check engine light.

"Aside from enabling the E-fan settings, and AC settings. You need to change a few things in the OS to avoid a false check engine light.

The 99-00 only use the L terminal for charging. You must disable the F terminal in the Vehicle Platform settings. You also need to change the corresponding DTC and Mil settings for that so they match and you don't get a false check engine light.

You may also need to reprogram your original VIN after flashing in the newer OS. Just a Fair warning, some Vehicle inspection process and Smog inspections are required to read the Vin from your PCM as part of the OBD2 testing to make sure it matches the Vehicle being inspected. "

If the Vin does not match, you can't re-link the vats.

Yes, 225 is fine. The lower you set them , the more they will run.

VIN and relink- anyway to force match my vin with something other than hp tuners? if not i can live with vats disabled.

Battery charging- initially, I changed F terminal to "0" but didn't disable the corresponding pid 1638. that's when i got the battery light flashing in my face. At that point I disabled pid 1638. I left those details out on my other post.

I left the DTC and mil settings as they were for the L terminal- is that right?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

I use EFI live. I am able to change the operating system and vin with out issue. It does not require additional licensing.