STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

2 12" subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 12" subwoofers

Hey guys,

I have a regular cab silverado with bucket seats and a center console. I am planning on putting 2 12" subwoofers (if possible) behind the seats. However, I don't want to have to move my seat all the way up against the steering wheel to get them back there. What is the most powerful/best sounding set of subs that I could put back there without losing a lot of space. They also need to, of course, have enough air space to work properly as well. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

what is the difference between 2/4 ohm? Which is a better choice when buying?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Launching!

I cant really explain the ohm thing too well but I know that 2 ohm hit harder. I'm in the same spot you are as far as subs go...gota love single cabs...anyway...
I talked to a guy I know at an audio store and he said that Orion makes some 12's that are made for small boxes and that they are the hardest hitting thing you can put in a single cab without a bedcut. I dont remember which series they were though. He said the best setup, for me because I have a 00 with the flip down console in the middle, would be to build a custom ported box for the 2 12s and put an indention in the middle where the console is so you can still flip it down. I also thought about mounting my amp there too. I talked to another guy and he said to put 2 pioneer pro 10s in there but I think the Orion 12s would hit harder. Hope that helps some.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:54 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i have two JL W0 10's in a custom made box. they hit as hard if not harder than three JL W0 12's in my buddy's extended cab. also i didn't loose any leg room and i'm 6'2".
Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What He Said. His 2 10's Hit Really Hard And They Sound Good. I Have Always Liked Jl Audio. Just My 2

Seth
Old 09-23-2005, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

there's lots of good brands. decent entry level 12's will fit and hit good. you can step up to some powerful shallow mounting 12's, but they will come with a price. if you can make one box all the way across, you can have enough space to port it. that will give you more bang out of the same equip.

ohms doesn't matter for what hits harder. you need to match the ohms for the amp you use. if you're getting a class D amp, go for dual 4 ohm coils. then you parallel them down to 1 ohm to get the most out of the amp. or if the amp is designed for 4 ohm mono, then get 8 ohm subs parallel or dual 4's series/parallel.

listen to as many as you can so you get an idea of what you like. don't just go off of common brand names people can quote. most unheard of brands are crap, some are really, really good, most mainstream lines are crap imo. what they spend in advertising, so everyone will blindly quote their name, they make up for it in a cheaper product. try......
memphis
treo
powerbass upper lines
and many more

go to fullsizechevy.com, in their audio forum, they have a sticky for all sorts of sub brands. worth checking out.

Last edited by 95stroked1500; 09-25-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Question

i really like the way alpine's sound but I am not sure if the mounting depth on the type rs will fit behind my seat if i get 12s....anyone know?

-Alex
Old 09-24-2005, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

i think they will. i have heard a couple with the alpines. sounds decent. i haven't had my hands on them to tell you the exact depth.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
don't just go off of common brand names people can quote. most unheard of brands are crap, some are really, really good, most mainstream lines are crap imo. what they spend in advertising, so everyone will blindly quote their name, they make up for it in a cheaper product. try......
memphis
treo
powerbass upper lines
and many more
Agreed!

Some other unsung hero's include
Peerless XLS
Image Dynamics
Arc Audio
Adire Audio
Dayton Loudspeakers.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Teching In

i have an 05 rcsb and i have 2 12" rockford subs, P3 to be exact. I had to get a custom box made because they were pretty big but i still have great leg room. Dont buy a premade box unless u test fit it because i bought one for it first and the center console would hit it and no go up all the way. just a thought...

Quick Reply: 2 12" subwoofers