STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM
TOTM: November '07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)

I had initially tried to make a slave CD player work with my CD head unit, because it wouldnt read disks. After trying two different units, I found out from someone that the radio I have will only control a slave tape player or Denali console changer. Not wanting to spend any more money on stock parts, I started looking for something else. I am not really a fan of flip outs, and a double din install wasnt worth it to me in this truck.

I had seen some ricers that were using these oversize headunits over the past couple years, and always thought they would probably fit well in a 1.5 din hole. So I decided to give it a try. I looked at a bunch of these trying to find one that was almost the exact height as the stock radio. I settled on this one because it had the features I wanted, and was the right height.

For the install kit, I used the American International GM-K345EQ becaues it had the headunit mounted high and a space under it for a 1/2 slot. I wish it would have come with a plug for this hole, but I had to make one out of a DVD case. The radio didnt fit the kit well because it didnt come with a sleeve with side tabs, only top and bottom. That wouldnt work because there is really nothing for the tabs to grab onto on top and bottom with this kit. So I managed to come up with a sleeve that had the side tabs that I was able to modify to work.

Then I go to install it and the support strap was hitting the metal dash support. I was able to find a screw with the same threads and use it instead. Even then, the radio is resting on the bar when it is all the way in. If the radio was any deeper, it wouldnt have fit without some cutting.

Anyway, here are the pictures. They are crappy because it was dark when I finished. I was working under the light of my Dewalt flexi-light.
Attached Thumbnails My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01302-large-.jpg   My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01303-large-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

thats a cool looking CD player. what kind is that?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by AphotiC
thats a cool looking CD player. what kind is that?
It is an Eonon E0821. I am not sure I like it; I havent really seen it installed in the daylight. It sticks out a little far for my taste, because of how thick the face is.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

dont mind me asking what it ran you?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by AphotiC
dont mind me asking what it ran you?
I have about $200 in it including the install hardware.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:22 PM

For some reason the DVD player isnt working. I tied the stupid pink wire to ground, but I still get the legal message. I guess I will have to take it back out tomorrow to see if the wire came loose or something.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 PM

I got the pink wire connected properly, now it plays DVDs. But I am pretty sure I am getting rid of it. It works fine, but just stands out too much for my taste...
Attached Thumbnails My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01311-medium-.jpg   My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01312-medium-.jpg   My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01313-medium-.jpg   My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01314-medium-.jpg   My 1.5 din DVD install (not double din or flip out)-dsc01315-medium-.jpg